No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BWA MEM mapping to divergent reference

Hi,
    I would like to use BWA MEM to map reads from a species without a reference genome to the closest available reference (about 3-4% diverged). What parameters could be changed to help allow for better mapping of more divergent reads?

Hi Ellenell

did you ever figure out a good parameter set for BWA MEM (or any other aligner) for mapping with 3-4% divergence? I have a similar issue right now.

Comment

BBMap, at its default settings, is very good for cross-species mapping; it tolerates down to a bit under 80% identity at defaults. You can increase the sensitivity by adjusting the parameters, but you shouldn't need to in this case.

Comment

Originally posted by Brian Bushnell View Post
        BBMap, at its default settings, is very good for cross-species mapping; it tolerates down to a bit under 80% identity at defaults. You can increase the sensitivity by adjusting the parameters, but you shouldn't need to in this case.
        Hi Brian

thanks for the response. I have the BBmap suite (very comprehensive by the way!). I merged overlapping pairs using BBmerge, so about 45% of my read pairs are now single end. Is it a good idea to map the paired ends and then the single ends into two different BAMs and then merge into one BAM? or can BBmap handle both sets of inputs in one go?

cheers
        david

Comment

BBMap itself can only run single-ended or paired-ended in a single run, but it has a wrapper that can accomplish it, like this:

bbwrap.sh in1=read1.fq,singletons.fq in2=read2.fq,null out=mapped.sam append

This will write all the reads to the same output file but only print the headers once. I have not tried that for bam output, only sam output; I don't know if it would work with bam output.

Comment

Hi,
            No, I never did - we found it to work well enough under default parameters (only slightly lower % reads mapped for the divergent species than the reference species), and bwa-mem performed better than bwa aln alone, and similarly to a pipleline of bwa aln + stampy.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
              Recent Advances in Sequencing Analysis Tools
              by seqadmin

The sequencing world is rapidly changing due to declining costs, enhanced accuracies, and the advent of newer, cutting-edge instruments. Equally important to these developments are improvements in sequencing analysis, a process that converts vast amounts of raw data into a comprehensible and meaningful form. This complex task requires expertise and the right analysis tools. In this article, we highlight the progress and innovation in sequencing analysis by reviewing several of the...
              05-06-2024, 07:48 AM
            • seqadmin
              Essential Discoveries and Tools in Epitranscriptomics
              by seqadmin

The field of epigenetics has traditionally concentrated more on DNA and how changes like methylation and phosphorylation of histones impact gene expression and regulation. However, our increased understanding of RNA modifications and their importance in cellular processes has led to a rise in epitranscriptomics research. “Epitranscriptomics brings together the concepts of epigenetics and gene expression,” explained Adrien Leger, PhD, Principal Research Scientist...
              04-22-2024, 07:01 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
            Started by seqadmin, Today, 02:46 PM
            0 responses
            0 likes
            Last Post seqadmin  
            Started by seqadmin, 05-07-2024, 06:57 AM
            0 responses