No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RNAseq, GO enrichment, and length bias correction

Hi,

I have a set of DE genes from an RNAseq study in a non-model species. I performed a GO enrichment analyses using topGO and GOseq.
    TopGO is nice, because it offers the parent-child algorithm, which takes into account the hierachical relationship between GOs. GOseq is nice, because it corrects for length bias in RNAseq.
    Yet, of course I would like to combine both advantages. Ideally, I would just run topGO and perform a length bias correction on the calculated p values.
    I found a paper by Gao et al. (http://bioinformatics.oxfordjournals.../27/5/662.long), where they essentially describe how to do this, at least that is what I understood, but to be fair, I am neither a bioinformatician nor a statistician.
    The problem is, the R scripts mentioned in the paper are no longer available.

So my question is: Is there a simple way to correct for the RNAseq length bias, by just correcting the p values returned by topGO's fisher tests? I imagine to just multiply the p values by a correction factor based on the average transcript length in the respective GO term.

I hope some of you might have an idea on that.

Thanks,

Lukas
    Last edited by lukas1848; 01-21-2014, 09:44 AM.

Did you try emailing the authors about the scripts?

Comment

yes, I did. The author will try to fix the link. But I am not sure that I will find a simple answer to my question in the script.

Comment

Originally posted by lukas1848 View Post
        yes, I did. The author will try to fix the link. But I am not sure that I will find a simple answer to my question in the script.
        Ok. I got the scripts, but they didn't really help me in answering my question.

Edit: I got another answer from the author and unfortunately, it's not as simple as I hoped. I have to estimate the noncentral parameter for the Wallenius distribution based on transcript length before I calculate my p values. This won't be easy to implement into my topGO workflow. Is anyone here aware of a program that can do both, lenght bias correction and parent-child testing for GO enrichments?
        Last edited by lukas1848; 01-22-2014, 07:47 AM.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
          Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
          by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
          03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
        • seqadmin
          Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
          by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
          Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
          03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
        Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
        0 responses
        0 likes
        Last Post seqadmin  
        Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
        0 responses