No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Calculating RPKM value manually

Hello,

I'm dealing with bacterial RNA-seq data. I would like to show absolute gene expression by calculating RPKM value for every gene. Initially, I've been using Cufflinks for that, but I don't like the way Cufflinks deals with it, so I decided to manually calculate my iwn RPKM values.

The equation I want to use is:

RPKM = (10^9 * C)/(N * L), with

C = Number of reads mapped to a gene
    N = Total mapped reads in the experiment
    L = gene length in base-pairs for a gene

Now, my question is the following: I want to use raw counts (obtained from HTSeq count table) as the number of reads that actually mapped to a gene (C). I think that should be okay. However, for the total mapped reads in the experiment (N) I thought about simply adding all reads from the HTSeq table.

For exemple:

If my gene length (L) is : 200pb
    Number of reads mapped (as from HTSeq-count) (C) : 400
    Total mapped reads (sum for all genes from HTSeq-count) (N) : 10^8

RPKM = (10^9 * 400)/(10^8 * 200) = 20

Would that be the right way of calculating it? My aim is to do the same thing for each of my sequencing libraries and then simply compare.

Thanks you guys,

TP

The calculation looks OK.

Comment

Yeah, the more I think about it, the more it makes sense. HTSeq-count uses alignment files from bowtie and DESeq (used for DE analysis) uses HTSeq-count tables... Thus, there seems to be no reason why I couldn't use raw reads from HTSeq-count table for RPKM calculations.

Comment

Is your data paired end? In that case, you need FPKM counts, not RPKM.

Comment

Originally posted by AdrianP View Post
          Is your data paired end? In that case, you need FPKM counts, not RPKM.
          Nope, single-end... That's why I don't like using Cufflinks who gives FPKM values.

Comment

Originally posted by ThePresident View Post
            Nope, single-end... That's why I don't like using Cufflinks who gives FPKM values.
            In case of single-end reads, FPKM=RPKM. But check and see if the values match, I am curious.

Comment

Nope, it does not match for one obvious reason (and I'm again banging my head against the wall):

- I can't just sum all the reads from HTseq table: the number is way over the total number of reads from the library. I'm trying to see why... damn!

Comment

Nope, it does not match for one obvious reason (and I'm again banging my head against the wall):

- I can't just sum all the reads from HTseq table: the number is way over the total number of reads from the library. I'm trying to see why... damn!
                Use the .fastq file with all of your reads. When you do
                Code:
                head file.fastq
                what do you get?

Comment

Are you counting multimappers? Also, cufflinks calulated FPKMs will almost never be the same as those calculated by hand (partly due to using a different gene length and partly due to cufflinks using fractional read counts).

Comment

@AdrianP : I'm at work now and I don't have access to my linux station now. But, from bowtie alignment I know how much reads I have in my libraries (fastq). For example, in one of my libraries I have 61,402,323 reads, and when counted with HTSeq-count (sum of all reads across all genes) I get 116,898,233 which is almost double.

@dpryan: My understanding of HTSeq-count is that it does not count multimappers. I used intersection-nonempty mode. Here is the final output:

no_feature 9034352
                    ambiguous 958299
                    too_low_aQual 0
                    not_aligned 2097930
                    alignment_not_unique 0

Fastq file contained 61,402,323 reads and 96.58% of that number have been aligned with bowtie. So, the SAM file has to contain around 59,302,363. So, if there are multimapped reads in mu HTSeq-count, how to get rid of them?

Comment

But on the other side, the total number of mapped reads in a the RPKM formula is quite arbitrary. It will be the same for every gene inside one single library, so as long as keep that in mind, the formula still makes sense.

On the other side, I wonder if I could compare RPKM values calculated by this manner in between libraries containing replicates? Ex. If I have three libraries of the same condition (biological replicates) but with different sequencing depth, could I calculate RPKM as explained above and then just average them...?

Comment

[deleted] .
                        Last edited by Simon Anders; 01-24-2014, 10:36 AM. Reason: post was meant to appear in another thread, but I confused my browser tabs

Comment

It might seems that I'm flooding this thread, but I just realized that I already had the same problem. I think that the right way of dealing with all this is to extract only uniquely-mapped reads from bowtie-generated BAM files and use them in HTSeq-count, DESeq and RPKM calculations.

My only concern is to lose too much reads du to the multimapping...

Comment

It might seems that I'm flooding this thread, but I just realized that I already had the same problem. I think that the right way of dealing with all this is to extract only uniquely-mapped reads from bowtie-generated BAM files and use them in HTSeq-count, DESeq and RPKM calculations.

My only concern is to lose too much reads du to the multimapping...
                            If you use 61,402,323 as total reads, what value of RPKM do you get for any given gene compared to FPKM by cufflinks?

Comment

Originally posted by AdrianP View Post
                              If you use 61,402,323 as total reads, what value of RPKM do you get for any given gene compared to FPKM by cufflinks?
                              It's somewhat near but not exactly the same thing. I did it with just a couple of values but still: 8vs9 , 146vs300, 13vs18.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                                Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                                by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                                03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
                              • seqadmin
                                Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
                                by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
                                Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
                                03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                              Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
                              0 responses
                              0 likes
                              Last Post seqadmin  
                              Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
                              0 responses