Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bacterial ITS analysis

Hello, I was wondering if anyone has done Bacterial ITS (not fungal ITS) community diversity analyses before? I do 16S rRNA all the time using Qiime or Mothur. However, the two software doesn't support bacterial ITS. If anyone has done it before, can you tell me your analysis work flow?

Thanks
    Ben

Originally posted by SDPA_Pet View Post
    However, the two software doesn't support bacterial ITS.
    Sure they do, however, afaik there's no reference for bacterial ITS so you'd be doing just de novo clustering. No idea how you'd go about assigning taxonomy to your reads. Blastn against a very sparse collection perhaps?
    savetherhino.org

Comment

HI rhinoceros,

Thanks. "Blastn against a very sparse collection". Do you mean BLASTn against a small and specific database. I know ncbi has mircrobial rRNA database. I am not sure if this database only has 16S or includes ITS regions. It is obvious that ncbi NT database is too big for me.

Any suggestions?

Ben

Comment

HI rhinoceros,

Thanks. "Blastn against a very sparse collection". Do you mean BLASTn against a small and specific database. I know ncbi has mircrobial rRNA database. I am not sure if this database only has 16S or includes ITS regions. It is obvious that ncbi NT database is too big for me.

Any suggestions?

Ben
        NCBI hosts a 16S db, which doesn't include ITS seqs. Bacterial ITS sequencing has never been a thing, so a bacterial ITS reference db would be limited to the few fully sequenced bacterial genomes, hence "sparse" and pretty much useless..
        Last edited by rhinoceros; 02-17-2014, 12:40 AM.
        savetherhino.org

Comment

Originally posted by rhinoceros View Post
          NCBI hosts a 16S db, which doesn't include ITS seqs. Bacterial ITS sequencing has never been a thing, so a bacterial ITS reference db would be limited to the few fully sequenced bacterial genomes, hence "sparse" and pretty much useless..
          Do you mean if I do BLASTn search, I should use NCBI nr database instead of nt database?

I know NCBI BLASTn web portal can search nr and nt database at the same time? Can BLAST command line BLAST against two databases at the same time?

Comment

Do you mean if I do BLASTn search, I should use NCBI nr database instead of nt database?

I know NCBI BLASTn web portal can search nr and nt database at the same time? Can BLAST command line BLAST against two databases at the same time?
            What I mean is that you should forget about the whole thing. Anyway, nr is a protein db. The default NCBI's web blastn is against non-redundant version of nt. But many sequences in nt (or nr for that matter) don't have any species annotation other than "uncultured bacterium/archaeon/organism". What good would that information be to you? Optimally, you'd build an ITS subset of e.g. refseq_genomic, but again, this db wouldn't have that many sequences, so it would be a rather miserable reference db.
            savetherhino.org

Comment

Originally posted by rhinoceros View Post
              What I mean is that you should forget about the whole thing. Anyway, nr is a protein db. The default NCBI's web blastn is against non-redundant version of nt. But many sequences in nt (or nr for that matter) don't have any species annotation other than "uncultured bacterium/archaeon/organism". What good would that information be to you? Optimally, you'd build an ITS subset of e.g. refseq_genomic, but again, this db wouldn't have that many sequences, so it would be a rather miserable reference db.
              OK. Thanks. Just double check with you this,

The default NCBI BLASTn database on the web is nucleotide collection (nt/nr).

So the nt means nt database
              and nr means non-redundant version of nt?

Yes, I understand it is very hard to get exact species name for microbes even using 16S rRNA gene marker.

Comment

OK. Thanks. Just double check with you this,

The default NCBI BLASTn database on the web is nucleotide collection (nt/nr).

So the nt means nt database
                and nr means non-redundant version of nt?
                Yeah, it's a special non-redundant version of the nt db which they distribute via their ftp. In their ftp, the "main" protein db is called just "nr".

Yes, I understand it is very hard to get exact species name for microbes even using 16S rRNA gene marker.
                Well, yeah, that's usually the case. However, as I'm sure you're aware, there's no consensus of what makes a prokaryote species, and anyway, genus level annotation is usually good enough. If you want more specific than that, you'd be looking into phylogenomics instead..
                savetherhino.org

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                  Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                  by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                  03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
                • seqadmin
                  Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
                  by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
                  Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
                  03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
                0 responses
                0 likes
                Last Post seqadmin  
                Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
                0 responses