No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Filtering differentially expressed genes with CummeRbund

Hi,

I am new to RNA-seq analysis and I am trying to analysis some data by the tuxedo pipeline.

My samples are control cells and cells with siRNA treatment, each with 4 replicates so 8 samples in total. There are ~40 million reads in each sample. After running these data through cuffdiff, it generates a list of ~9000 genes that are differentially expressed significantly. I went through the list and found that a lot of them have extremely low FPKM value (less than 0.1) and very low fold changes (less than 1.3).

So I have been filtering these with an arbitrary threshold of FPKM>2 and fold change>1.5. I did that in excel and that got me about 900 genes left. My question is that how can I do that in cummeRbund so that I can plot heatmap and other plots with the filtered results?

Thank you very much!

Code:
    cuff <- readCufflinks()
    gene.diff <- diffData(genes(cuff))
    filtered <- gene.diff[gene.diff$log2_fold_change > 1.5 & gene.diff$value_1 > 2,]
    value_1, value_2 and so on is your samples.

Comment

Originally posted by TiborNagy View Post
      Code:
      cuff <- readCufflinks()
      gene.diff <- diffData(genes(cuff))
      filtered <- gene.diff[gene.diff$log2_fold_change > 1.5 & gene.diff$value_1 > 2,]
      value_1, value_2 and so on is your samples.
      That worked! Thank you so much!

Comment

Quick question,
        If I have 6 conditions (C1-C6), with C1 being my control, do i type in "...gene.diff$ C1 > 2 ,3,4,5,6,]?

Comment

hi!
          this thread is the closest I've found to my issue ...

I have 2 conditions (a control and a treatment), each with 3 replicates. How can I do if I want to get those genes showing FPKM > 1, for each replicate, for control OR treatment?

I mean that, for example, a gene must have in control at least fpkm = 1, for all replicates #1, #2 and #3, even if it doesn't happen for the treatment; and vice versa.

This actually works:

gene.diff.filtered <- gene.diff[gene.diff$value_1 > 1 & gene.diff$value_2 > 1,]

but it's not what i want since the fpkm is calculated over the three replica together, and not separately.

Thanks for any hint!
          Cheers

stefano
          Last edited by sghignone; 03-13-2015, 08:47 AM. Reason: completeness

Comment

I used this to filter my 10,000+ DEGs to a more reasonable number so I could plot heatmaps with the filtered results. Now I can't figure out how to use the filtered results to plot a heatmap. I have tried a few different ways, but none are successful - I cannot use getSig function or get the column of gene_ids from the filtered table into a list to use the getGenes function, so am not sure what other approach to take. I would appreciate if you could share how you did this. Thanks very much!

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
              Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
              by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
              03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
            • seqadmin
              Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
              by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
              Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
              03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
            Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
            0 responses
            0 likes
            Last Post seqadmin  
            Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
            0 responses