Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by thinkRNA View Post
    Do you mean that two overlapping reads show discrepancy often or do you mean that PCR duplicates occur often? Sorry, I just want to clarify to be sure.
    I could not say if it is because of PCR duplicates or the other reasons i mentioned, but my feeling is that coverage variation is substantial (see also the link to a dedicated thread in my previous post). I have no precise measurement of this variation though. Maybe a large scale estimation of this variability could be an interesting experiment -if not already performed? Note that Helicos data could be used as a negative control regarding the potential contribution of the PCR step.

Comment

Originally posted by krobison View Post

One other approach would be to convert the files to tab-delimited; sort on the sequence column & then you can compress duplicates by just comparing the current row to the previous one -- I believe UNIX sort can deal with files that are quite large & perhaps use on-disk storing of the intermediates during the sort.
      What UNIX command do you use to compare multiple lines in the same file? The only way I would know to do iit is to sort, cut the sequence from the SAM file, uniq, then join that list with the SAM. There is an easier way than this, right?

Comment

Originally posted by RockChalkJayhawk View Post
        What UNIX command do you use to compare multiple lines in the same file? The only way I would know to do iit is to sort, cut the sequence from the SAM file, uniq, then join that list with the SAM. There is an easier way than this, right?
        Code:
        drio@ned:~/tmp **$ cat test.txt 
        a:1
        z:2
        t:1
        r:4
        x:1
        drio@ned:~/tmp **$ cat test.txt  | gsort -t: -k2,2 -u
        -drd

Comment

Originally posted by drio View Post
          Code:
          drio@ned:~/tmp **$ cat test.txt 
          t:1
          x:1
          drio@ned:~/tmp **$ cat test.txt  | gsort -t: -k2,2 -u
          Yep...that is much simpler. Now, I am filtering my SAM file to contain correctly matched pairs while removing duplicates by:
          Code:
          awk '($7=="=")' accepted_hits.sam |sort -k10,10 -u > reads.filtered

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
            Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
            by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
            04-04-2024, 04:25 PM
          • seqadmin
            Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
            by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
            03-22-2024, 06:39 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
          Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
          0 responses
          0 likes
          Last Post seqadmin  
          Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
          0 responses