Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• laoding of large data on tablet_viewer???

Hi,

i have my ace file of 9.42 GB containing 28 million reads of 75 bp length (for solexa/illumina data). i am unable to load it on tablet.

Is there any way to load it on tablet?

OR can we split ace file into two parts? Is there any way?

Thanks

A couple of suggestions:

- Convert it to BAM if you can.

- Run Tablet with more memory (http://bioinf.scri.ac.uk/tablet/help/memory.shtml), on a 64bit machine if you can.

- If the ACE file has multiple contigs in it, see if you can pre-process the file to save out the contigs, one per file.

Iain
    Our software: Tablet | Flapjack | Strudel | CurlyWhirly | TOPALi

Comment

reply to imilne for tablet

thanks for ur suggestions

yes i tried it already, by increasing the memory of tablet on 64 bit. but after completion of all 28 million reads upto 100% it gives the error of memory.

and my ace file has a single contig as it is for mapping assembly.

Comment

How much memory do you have? A 9GB ace file will probably contain a lot of additional data that Tablet will throw away anyway (because it doesn't use it), so I would expect it to load with just a few GB of memory.

If it's not, then maybe something more serious is wrong...

Iain

Comment

my RAM is 4 GB. but i also tried it on 20 GB system after increasig the default memory of tablet.

but tablet loads when i use filtered data but by that way my information is being lost, so i have to use unfiltered data.

Comment

Originally posted by saima View Post
            my RAM is 4 GB. but i also tried it on 20 GB system after increasig the default memory of tablet.

but tablet loads when i use filtered data but by that way my information is being lost, so i have to use unfiltered data.
            What OS? Is this 32bit or 64bit?

Comment

Hmm, something's not right. 4GB might be tight, but I would expect it to manage. With 20GB it should be laughing. Can you check how much memory Tablet thinks it's getting by looking at the About box? Make sure it is what you changed the vmoptions file to.

Tablet only stores a "skeleton" of the layout of the reads in memory. All the actual data is kept on disk, even with ACE files. It's basically a position, length, and ID per read (roughly 12 bytes + class overhead). The consensus sequence isn't kept on disk, so unless it's gigabases long, you shouldn't be having a problem.

Iain

Comment

the default memory that tablet takes is 1 GB. my consensus sequence is in MBs so i think i should rebuild ace file, may be some problem at the initial steps.

but i also could not load it on eagle view

thanks for ur help

Comment

the default memory that tablet takes is 1 GB
                  Yes, that's the default, but if you've increased it (by changing the value in the tablet.vmoptions file) then the About box should say so.

Look for the line stating "Memory available to JVM" and check that it's close to what you asked for. eg, if you put "-Xmx3000m" in the file (roughly 3GB) then Tablet's About box should be reporting a number close to 3000. If it's not, and it still shows a value around 1000, then Tablet isn't using more memory.

Iain

Comment

Another thought... turn off the protein translations if you have them on. They use up memory too.

Iain

Comment

how to turn it off, i dont know where to check for protein translation?

Comment

how to turn it off, i dont know where to check for protein translation?
                        "Options" panel on the control bar. Top row, middle button of the 2nd group.

Iain

Comment

HI,

at last my ace file of 28 million reads loaded successfully.

let me tell, what was the problem (it is little stupid :-)). actually i changed the memory of tablet in VMoptions many times but didnt close the 'info.plist' file (so the changes couldn't be saved). when i closed it, the saving message appeared so i saved it.

Comment

ANYONE WHO WANT TO CHANGE DEFAULT MEMORY OF TABLET on mac system:

i have mac system
                            i goto my applications folder -> then right cliked tablet icon -> then cliked 'show pakage contents' -> opened Contents folder -> opened 'Info-plist'

then under java i changed VMoptions, as below;

'-Xmx10244m -XX:+UseCompressedOops'
                            change '1024' to how much memory u want. e.g 2048

BUT DONT FORGET TO CLOSE THE FILE TO GET IT SAVED :-)
                            Last edited by saima; 03-25-2010, 01:36 AM.

Comment

Gap5 can also read ace files natively, although it's not really the preferred format. (In theory this allows conversion to sam too as you can then export again, but I'm sure there are more direct routes.)

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                                Essential Discoveries and Tools in Epitranscriptomics
                                by seqadmin

The field of epigenetics has traditionally concentrated more on DNA and how changes like methylation and phosphorylation of histones impact gene expression and regulation. However, our increased understanding of RNA modifications and their importance in cellular processes has led to a rise in epitranscriptomics research. “Epitranscriptomics brings together the concepts of epigenetics and gene expression,” explained Adrien Leger, PhD, Principal Research Scientist...
                                04-22-2024, 07:01 AM
                              • seqadmin
                                Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
                                by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
                                04-04-2024, 04:25 PM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                              Started by seqadmin, 04-25-2024, 11:49 AM
                              0 responses
                              0 likes
                              Last Post seqadmin  
                              Started by seqadmin, 04-24-2024, 08:47 AM
                              0 responses