Unconfigured Ad

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Sciurus
    Member
    • Dec 2013
    • 23

    #1

    How do I analyze double nested design? (DESeq2)

    Hi everybody,

    I am currently analysing an RNAseq eperiment I ran on recombinant inbred lines.

    So far I have used DESeq but because my design is somewhat complicated and I couldn't do the proper analysis with it, I am now using DESeq2.

    But I am still unsure what the legitimate/appropriate statistics is for my data and would be immensely grateful for some help and insight from you smart people! :-)

    So, this is what I have done so far:

    - I have a count matrix with raw read counts for my mapped genes
    - I set the data.frame as you can see below

    > ExpDesign
    genotype flowering sampling
    Bur_1_1 parent late tp1
    Bur_1_2 parent late tp1
    Bur_1_3 parent late tp1
    Bur_2_1 parent late tp2
    Bur_2_2 parent late tp2
    Bur_2_3 parent late tp2
    Col_1_1 parent early tp1
    Col_1_2 parent early tp1
    Col_1_3 parent early tp1
    Col_2_1 parent early tp2
    Col_2_2 parent early tp2
    Col_2_3 parent early tp2
    pool01 pool_lines early tp1
    pool02 pool_lines early tp1
    pool03 pool_lines early tp1
    pool04 pool_lines late tp1
    pool05 pool_lines late tp1
    pool06 pool_lines late tp1
    pool07 pool_lines early tp2
    pool08 pool_lines early tp2
    pool09 pool_lines early tp2
    pool10 pool_lines late tp2
    pool11 pool_lines late tp2
    pool12 pool_lines late tp2

    -se_input <- DESeqDataSetFromMatrix(countData = se, colData=ExpDesign, design=~genotype+flowering+sampling)
    se_input
    class: DESeqDataSet
    dim: 21646 24
    exptData(0):
    assays(1): counts
    rownames(21646): AT1G01010 AT1G01020 ... ATMG01380 ATMG01390
    rowData metadata column names(0):
    colnames(24): Bur_1_1 Bur_1_2 ... pool11 pool12
    colData names(3): genotype flowering sampling

    se_input_DESeq <- DESeq(se_input)
    se_res <- results(se_input_DESeq)
    head(se_res)
    DataFrame with 6 rows and 6 columns
    baseMean log2FoldChange lfcSE stat pvalue padj
    <numeric> <numeric> <numeric> <numeric> <numeric> <numeric>
    AT1G01010 64.594945 -0.30440446 0.23903587 -1.2734677 0.2028521166 0.339217533
    AT1G01020 140.260321 -0.05978862 0.17145139 -0.3487205 0.7272991151 0.820126969
    AT1G01030 33.542471 -0.73783880 0.21824157 -3.3808352 0.0007226586 0.004030036
    AT1G01040 514.335016 -0.49919387 0.14493772 -3.4441958 0.0005727608 0.003338910
    AT1G01046 6.191449 -0.49877559 0.26084673 -1.9121405 0.0558581775 0.129957010
    AT1G01050 689.292548 -0.13212720 0.06934961 -1.9052335 0.0567497202 0.131422678


    So, now I am wondering how to account for the interactions of my three conditions in the analysis?

    And what does the output table se_res actually tell me - what does the p-value signify, a significant difference between all three conditions?
    Last edited by Sciurus; 04-07-2014, 01:35 AM.
  • dpryan
    Devon Ryan
    • Jul 2011
    • 3478

    #2
    If you don't specify which coefficient you want results for then it returns the last one (sampling in your case). So, all the adjusted p-values (ignore the non-adjusted ones) would indicate changes due to that.

    You account for interactions in R with formulas like:

    Code:
    design=~genotype*flowering+sampling
    which is identical to:

    Code:
    design=~genotype+flowering+genotype:flowering+sampling
    Where "genotype:flowering" indicates an interaction. You could also have a 3-way interaction if you want. I recommend thinking about which interactions make biological sense, since often the all won't.

    Comment

    • Sciurus
      Member
      • Dec 2013
      • 23

      #3
      Originally posted by dpryan View Post
      If you don't specify which coefficient you want results for then it returns the last one (sampling in your case). So, all the adjusted p-values (ignore the non-adjusted ones) would indicate changes due to that.

      You account for interactions in R with formulas like:

      Code:
      design=~genotype*flowering+sampling
      which is identical to:

      Code:
      design=~genotype+flowering+genotype:flowering+sampling
      Where "genotype:flowering" indicates an interaction. You could also have a 3-way interaction if you want. I recommend thinking about which interactions make biological sense, since often the all won't.
      Thank you!

      Yes, that is what I have been wondering: What makes sense and is statistically legitimate to do.
      What would 3-way-ineraction mean in terms of statistical power and meaning I can draw from that?

      Comment

      • dpryan
        Devon Ryan
        • Jul 2011
        • 3478

        #4
        At least in terms of power you'd be decreasing your degrees of freedom, which you really only want to do if a given interaction makes biological sense. I don't know enough about your experiment to say whether a 3-way genotype*flowering*sampling model really makes sense, that's unfortunately not something someone uninvolved in your project can easily guide you on.

        Comment

        • Sciurus
          Member
          • Dec 2013
          • 23

          #5
          Originally posted by dpryan View Post
          At least in terms of power you'd be decreasing your degrees of freedom, which you really only want to do if a given interaction makes biological sense. I don't know enough about your experiment to say whether a 3-way genotype*flowering*sampling model really makes sense, that's unfortunately not something someone uninvolved in your project can easily guide you on.
          Okay, thank you! I ran both options and will discuss with my supervisor when I get a chance.

          Comment

          • Sciurus
            Member
            • Dec 2013
            • 23

            #6
            So, I am still struggling with this nested design. If you would be so kind as to have a look here, I'd very much appreciate any help I can get! :-)

            Discussion of next-gen sequencing related bioinformatics: resources, algorithms, open source efforts, etc

            Comment

            Latest Articles

            Collapse

            • SEQadmin2
              New Genomics Technologies Take Aim at Long-Standing Limits
              by SEQadmin2


              Researchers using sequencing and genomics tools often have to make trade-offs. They can choose between speed or scale, short reads or long-range information, or targeted panels or a view of the whole transcriptome. New technologies that have been released this year are built to address those tough choices.

              We asked six companies the same four questions to learn about their latest products. The new technologies bring a lot to the table, including rethinking sequencing
              ...
              Yesterday, 10:25 AM
            • SEQadmin2
              How Immunogenomics Decodes Immunity’s Genetic Blueprint
              by SEQadmin2




              The immune system’s power comes from its genetic diversity, allowing myriad threats to be neutralized through first recognizing foreign antigens. That diversity is also what makes the immune system so difficult to study. Recent advances in sequencing technology and computational biology, however, are giving researchers new tools to understand immune responses and immune-related diseases in greater detail.

              This convergence of genetics, immunology, and computation...
              09-01-2026, 05:41 AM

            ad_right_rmr

            Collapse

            News

            Collapse

            Topics Statistics Last Post
            Started by SEQadmin2, Today, 09:51 AM
            0 responses
            10 views
            0 reactions
            Last Post SEQadmin2  
            Started by SEQadmin2, 09-25-2026, 09:06 AM
            0 responses
            32 views
            0 reactions
            Last Post SEQadmin2  
            Started by SEQadmin2, 09-23-2026, 11:05 AM
            0 responses
            27 views
            0 reactions
            Last Post SEQadmin2  
            Started by SEQadmin2, 09-18-2026, 11:37 AM
            1 response
            48 views
            0 reactions
            Last Post pekgio
            by pekgio
             
            Working...