No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• velvet test

Dear all,

I just received 1 Flow cell of illumina plant sequencing data (75bp PE reads, ~2 X 26 million reads/lane). As we don't have in most cases a reference sequence available, I will have to do some de novo assembly.
    I started doing some tests using velvet. First I did an assembly on 1 lane, next I combined 2 lanes. In att you can see the virtual memory that was used during this process (I only show the velvetg part as this was the hardest to do) (horizontal you see the time needed, vertical you have the G of RAM needed). As you can see, the more datasets you combine, the more memory that you need (additive). As I have 14 sets to combine, I will never be able to perform this assembly using velvet (2 lanes already required 91G of RAM).

My questions:
    - is there an other way to use velvet (to reduce this memory issue)?
    - Are there other (well performing) assembly tools that use less memory? (I tested the CLCBio assembly tool and this one requires much less memory. But, this is of course a commercial tool)
    - All suggestions are welcome

Thanks

Steven
    Attached Files

What kind of data are you working, transcriptome or random genome sequencing.

Comment

genome sequencing

Comment

Well, you could potentially denovo each lane on its own,
        and then add the contigs as 'long' sequence type for subsequent runs;

Just an idea, I'd yet have to try it myself;
        Only problem I see: You loose coverage information for resolving 'bubbles';
        I'm not sure how exactly 'long' type sequence data is handled in the velvet algorithm...

best
        -Jonathan

Comment

Curtain

You could give Curtain a try.
          From the wiki:
          Curtain is a Java wrapper around next-generation assemblers such as Velvet which allows the incremental introduction of read-pair information into the assembly process. This enables the assembly of larger genomes than would otherwise be possible within existing memory constraints.

Comment

Hi,

I'm also trying out velvet with Illumina paired-end reads. A few problems I'm facing right now:

1. What should the input be like? I have read 1 and read 2 for the paired-end reads. Do I combine them into one file?

2. How do I run velvetg? The manual states that if insert size is not specified it will attempt to measure it for me. If that's the case do I still need to put -ins_length in my command? I do not know both the expected coverage and the insert size.

3. While testing, I can't seem to direct the console output of velvet into any file. So for example:
            velvetg velvet_data/ -exp_cov auto -min_contig_lgth 100 &> velvetg.out

This give no output whatsoever in the velvetg.out file, neither on the console.

Comment

Originally posted by Haneko View Post
              1. What should the input be like? I have read 1 and read 2 for the paired-end reads. Do I combine them into one file?
              If you had read the manual, you'd know:
              Velvet expects paired-end data to be in an interleaved format;
              aka
              read1
              read1pe
              read2
              read2pe

There's a tool/script for this shipped with velvet.

2. How do I run velvetg? The manual states that if insert size is not specified it will attempt to measure it for me. If that's the case do I still need to put -ins_length in my command? I do not know both the expected coverage and the insert size.
              a) Expected coverage can be left for velvet with the '-exp_cov auto' switch.
              b) Insert size is (usually - unless you have some other library prep) 200bp, +/- 10%; 10% is what velvet uses as default afair, just set the 200 and see if it works out.

3. While testing, I can't seem to direct the console output of velvet into any file. So for example:
              velvetg velvet_data/ -exp_cov auto -min_contig_lgth 100 &> velvetg.out

This give no output whatsoever in the velvetg.out file, neither on the console.
              Hm. Have you tried getting the different channels?
              It works on my end:
              velvetg velvet_data/ -exp_cov auto -min_contig_lgth 100 2> velvetg.err.out 1> velvetg.std.out

Best
              -Jonathan

Comment

Thanks! I think the '&' somehow couldn't work the usual way it did. don't know why though.

Comment

Hi
                  I think that the best way to deal with this huge amount of data is use one between SOAPdenovo and ABySS. With them I'm able to assembly 16 illumina lanes with less then 80Giga ram memory.

Francesco

Comment

Hi Francesco,

Could you please provide a time estimate regarding how long it took you? Also some more details about the genome size etc would be great. I need to assemble 6 Illumina lanes and was wondering whether SOAPDenovo would be a reasonable choice for that.

Comment

I'm assembling a grapevine clone. The reference genome length is 400MB. SOAPdenovo is divided in several step. The read correction takes approximately 1 day. The denovo step takes 5 hours while the scaffolding step takes half day... I'm working on a server with 120Giga of RAM and 8 CPU. The ram peak is more or less 60Giga.
                      Abyss takes 7-8 hours using 8 machines with 8 CPU each and with 30 Giga of ram each.

The moral is: a lot of ram and a lot of CPU and wait

Hope this can help

Francesco

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                        Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                        by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                        03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
                      • seqadmin
                        Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
                        by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
                        Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
                        03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                      Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
                      0 responses
                      0 likes
                      Last Post seqadmin  
                      Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
                      0 responses