Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do paired end reads come from opposite strands or the same one?

Thanks in advance,
    Amit

In a normal Illumina or Solid fragment library, opposite strands. But particularly with long-mate-pair protocols, the answer may be different, so really you should ask whoever generated the data.

Comment

Opposite strand for Illumina, same strand for SOLiD (if they still use the original method).

Comment

Thank you very much, Brian and Chipper.

Comment

not sure if this is the question .. for illumina sequencing they actually both come from the same strand, just one of them shows the reverse complement (have a look at the details of the protocol). this is for example important for bisulfite sequencing.

Comment

Actually, read 2 is synthesized on the opposite strand for Illumina (the enzyme goes forward for both reads so they need opposite template strands), and the same strand in Solid (a different enzyme is used for read 2, which goes backwards). Though in terms of Illumina bisulfite, I suppose the treatment would be done when it was single-stranded and thus be done on the same strand for read 1 and 2, but I've never done bisulfite experiments so I'm not sure.

When you are mapping or assembling Illumina or Solid fragment libraries, read 1 and read 2 will end up on opposite strands.

Comment

Well, they both originate from the same original strand but will normally produce sequence for both (so read #1 might produce that of the + strand and read #2 that of the - strand). I say normally because this isn't the case in bisulfite sequencing, for example, where if read #1 gives sequence for the + strand then read #2 will not give the sequence for the - strand, due to the two strands not being complementary.

Comment

Originally posted by Brian Bushnell View Post
                Actually, read 2 is synthesized on the opposite strand for Illumina (the enzyme goes forward for both reads so they need opposite template strands), and the same strand in Solid (a different enzyme is used for read 2, which goes backwards). Though in terms of Illumina bisulfite, I suppose the treatment would be done when it was single-stranded and thus be done on the same strand for read 1 and 2, but I've never done bisulfite experiments so I'm not sure.

When you are mapping or assembling Illumina or Solid fragment libraries, read 1 and read 2 will end up on opposite strands.
                Hi,
                I am having a basic question.
                In WGS, where we will have millions of reads, how we can identify the sequences of positive and negative strands of a single fragment?.
                Is it is based on the adapter sequences attached to it?. If so, we will have only few adapters for the millions of reads?.
                Please clarify.

Jayakumar S

Comment

You align it and look at the orientation of read #1. Depending on the nature of the library prep (i.e., whether it was stranded and, if so, which type), that will tell you. There's generally no a priori way to otherwise know.

Comment

Originally posted by dpryan View Post
                    You align it and look at the orientation of read #1. Depending on the nature of the library prep (i.e., whether it was stranded and, if so, which type), that will tell you. There's generally no a priori way to otherwise know.
                    Thanks Ryan for your response.
                    Got a fair idea about it. But, still not getting a clear picture.
                    The read1 and read2 orientation will be in the opposite direction, whereas the PCR duplicates will be in the same direction as read1.
                    Please correct, if I am wrong.

Thanks
                    Jayakumar S

Comment

PCR duplicates may or may not be in the same orientation after sequencing. This will be dependent upon the type of library prep.

Comment

PCR duplicates may or may not be in the same orientation after sequencing. This will be dependent upon the type of library prep.
                        Thanks Ryan.
                        Then, during alignment process, for the read2, whether the software will take the complementary sequence?.

Comment

Most any modern aligner (unless they're intended for other purposes) will attempt to align reads in each orientation and then match them properly given the library type. This isn't something you need to worry about unless you're writing an aligner or are getting strange results.

Comment

Most any modern aligner (unless they're intended for other purposes) will attempt to align reads in each orientation and then match them properly given the library type. This isn't something you need to worry about unless you're writing an aligner or are getting strange results.
                            Thanks Ryan for all the clarification.

Jayakumar S

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                              Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
                              by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
                              04-04-2024, 04:25 PM
                            • seqadmin
                              Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                              by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                              03-22-2024, 06:39 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                            Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
                            0 responses
                            0 likes
                            Last Post seqadmin  
                            Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
                            0 responses