Unconfigured Ad

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • GenoMax
    Senior Member
    • Feb 2008
    • 7142

    #16
    You are running 32-bit version of ubuntu (http://cynwong.com/blog/?p=15).

    I suggest you add the flag that Heng Li (author of BWA) had suggested in the link I had posted in #4 above and see if that works. You will have to edit the Makefile in the source code you downloaded.

    Comment

    • Superbug
      Member
      • May 2014
      • 15

      #17
      Ok

      As you probably might have guessed already, I am a NEWBY
      So the flag he suggested is "gcc -msse2" (?!) or is this what I have to change in the source code ?!

      The Makefile has in its firs row "gcc".

      Comment

      • GenoMax
        Senior Member
        • Feb 2008
        • 7142

        #18
        Add it to the CFLAGS line in the Makefile.

        CFLAGS= -msse2 -g -Wall -Wno-unused-function -O2

        Comment

        • Superbug
          Member
          • May 2014
          • 15

          #19
          Thanks a lot!

          I did everything you said, and the make command also worked now.

          Just when I now check which version I have, it still says 0.7.5a-r405, even after a re-start.....

          These problems never end.....

          Comment

          • GenoMax
            Senior Member
            • Feb 2008
            • 7142

            #20
            That is because you have the bwa that came with the VM in your $PATH. If you explicitly run the newly compiled bwa by providing full path to the executable it should work.

            Code:
            $ /full_path_to_new/bwa
            You are almost there.

            Comment

            • Superbug
              Member
              • May 2014
              • 15

              #21
              I honestly have no idea what you just "said"

              I do understand that I have to tell my VM now that it should use the new bwa.
              But where and how with the command you have written, I have no idea.....

              Comment

              • GenoMax
                Senior Member
                • Feb 2008
                • 7142

                #22
                Go to the directory which has the new bwa in it.

                Code:
                $ pwd
                That should give you the path to that directory. Now you can run the new bwa while you are still in that directory

                Code:
                $ ./bwa
                Or if you go to some other directory then you can still refer to the new bwa by using the full path like this:

                Code:
                $ output_you_got_from_pwd_command_above(replace the real value here)/bwa

                Comment

                • Superbug
                  Member
                  • May 2014
                  • 15

                  #23
                  Oh jeezz...
                  So I got the directory where the bwa is in, which is /home/wt/BWA/bwa-0.7.9a/bwa

                  But when I use this pathway to run the actual command I only get error messages that such a file or directory can not be found....

                  The commands I need to run are bwa aln or bwa sampe!

                  So what I did now, is copy paste the "bwa" file out of this folder into the path where my files are that I need to run.... Will that work ?!

                  Comment

                  • Brian Bushnell
                    Super Moderator
                    • Jan 2014
                    • 2709

                    #24
                    The latest bwa (0.7.x) does not support aln and sampe, just bwa mem (which is better, anyway). If you want to do bwa aln you need an older version, like 0.6.x or 0.5.x.

                    Comment

                    • Superbug
                      Member
                      • May 2014
                      • 15

                      #25
                      That can not be true, as I currently have 0.7.5a and run the aln and sampe commands.
                      And I can also see them when I type "bwa".

                      Comment

                      • GenoMax
                        Senior Member
                        • Feb 2008
                        • 7142

                        #26
                        You have to make sure that the new bwa is executable

                        Code:
                        $ chmod u+x /home/wt/BWA/bwa-0.7.9a/bwa
                        Then if you run
                        Code:
                        $ /home/wt/BWA/bwa-0.7.9a/bwa
                        it should print the help for bwa out.

                        aln is still available with 0.7.9.

                        Comment

                        • Superbug
                          Member
                          • May 2014
                          • 15

                          #27
                          That is good to know - about being executable.
                          The alignment is running..... Exciting.... Let's see how far it gets this time....

                          Thanks already for all your help !!!!

                          Comment

                          • GenoMax
                            Senior Member
                            • Feb 2008
                            • 7142

                            #28
                            Originally posted by Superbug View Post

                            So what I did now, is copy paste the "bwa" file out of this folder into the path where my files are that I need to run.... Will that work ?!
                            No you do not need to do that. Just include the full path to the new bwa executable when you run your alignment commands in the new directory.

                            Unix commands can use "relative" paths (it would help to go through this tutorial: http://korflab.ucdavis.edu/Unix_and_...1.1.html#part1) and can be used in any logical combination from anywhere on locally available filesystems.

                            Comment

                            • Brian Bushnell
                              Super Moderator
                              • Jan 2014
                              • 2709

                              #29
                              Originally posted by Superbug View Post
                              That can not be true, as I currently have 0.7.5a and run the aln and sampe commands.
                              And I can also see them when I type "bwa".
                              The latest releases do not support them at all, but aln has been broken or unstable in most of 0.7.x, so if you want to use it, you will be better off with 0.6.x. At least, that was the case last time I checked.

                              Comment

                              • Superbug
                                Member
                                • May 2014
                                • 15

                                #30
                                That copy past action was something I came up before knowing that I need to do bwa executable

                                So now I run it the way you said.....

                                Will have a look at the tutorial, thanks !!!!

                                Thanks again !!!!!

                                Comment

                                Latest Articles

                                Collapse

                                • SEQadmin2
                                  New Genomics Technologies Take Aim at Long-Standing Limits
                                  by SEQadmin2


                                  Researchers using sequencing and genomics tools often have to make trade-offs. They can choose between speed or scale, short reads or long-range information, or targeted panels or a view of the whole transcriptome. New technologies that have been released this year are built to address those tough choices.

                                  We asked six companies the same four questions to learn about their latest products. The new technologies bring a lot to the table, including rethinking sequencing
                                  ...
                                  Yesterday, 10:25 AM
                                • SEQadmin2
                                  How Immunogenomics Decodes Immunity’s Genetic Blueprint
                                  by SEQadmin2




                                  The immune system’s power comes from its genetic diversity, allowing myriad threats to be neutralized through first recognizing foreign antigens. That diversity is also what makes the immune system so difficult to study. Recent advances in sequencing technology and computational biology, however, are giving researchers new tools to understand immune responses and immune-related diseases in greater detail.

                                  This convergence of genetics, immunology, and computation...
                                  09-01-2026, 05:41 AM

                                ad_right_rmr

                                Collapse

                                News

                                Collapse

                                Topics Statistics Last Post
                                Started by SEQadmin2, 09-25-2026, 09:06 AM
                                0 responses
                                28 views
                                0 reactions
                                Last Post SEQadmin2  
                                Started by SEQadmin2, 09-23-2026, 11:05 AM
                                0 responses
                                24 views
                                0 reactions
                                Last Post SEQadmin2  
                                Started by SEQadmin2, 09-18-2026, 11:37 AM
                                1 response
                                46 views
                                0 reactions
                                Last Post pekgio
                                by pekgio
                                 
                                Started by SEQadmin2, 09-16-2026, 10:23 AM
                                1 response
                                55 views
                                0 reactions
                                Last Post pekgio
                                by pekgio
                                 
                                Working...