Unconfigured Ad

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • TonyBrooks
    Senior Member
    • Jun 2009
    • 303

    #1

    Picard failure on NextSeq data

    So, we've just begun to run some of our new NextSeq data through our standard pipelines and hit a snag. bcl2fastq still gives us fastq by index, read and lane, so the eight files for every sample are zcat'd together into two and aligned using either STAR or tophat. The problems begin to happen when we use picard Mark Duplicates which seems to fail on certain samples.

    Code:
    Exception in thread "main" htsjdk.samtools.SAMException: Value was put into PairInfoMap more than once.  1: null:NS500195:9:H0MT4AGXX:1:11201:10896:15588
    	at htsjdk.samtools.CoordinateSortedPairInfoMap.ensureSequenceLoaded(CoordinateSortedPairInfoMap.java:132)
    	at htsjdk.samtools.CoordinateSortedPairInfoMap.remove(CoordinateSortedPairInfoMap.java:86)
    	at picard.sam.DiskReadEndsMap.remove(DiskReadEndsMap.java:63)
    	at picard.sam.MarkDuplicates.buildSortedReadEndLists(MarkDuplicates.java:434)
    	at picard.sam.MarkDuplicates.doWork(MarkDuplicates.java:177)
    	at picard.cmdline.CommandLineProgram.instanceMain(CommandLineProgram.java:183)
    	at picard.sam.MarkDuplicates.main(MarkDuplicates.java:161)
    I've been trying to diagnose the problem and I think it may be related to samples having clusters with reads at the same XY co-ordinate, albeit on different lanes - although we've not had this problem on HiSeq rapid runs.
    If I rename the fastq headers to a rolling number using fastx_renamer -n COUNT and this "fixes" the problem although I now no longer have any info about optical duplicates.
    Has anyone else hit this problem?
  • mgogol
    Senior Member
    • Mar 2008
    • 197

    #2
    I'm just starting out with NextSeq data by installing bcl2fastq version 2. Haven't gotten as far as all that yet, but thanks for the heads up.

    Comment

    • TonyBrooks
      Senior Member
      • Jun 2009
      • 303

      #3
      I've spoken to Illumina tech support and they have pointed out a possible bug in bcl2fastq v2.

      "We identified a bug caused by thread handling that in certain cases caused errors in the order of reads such that R1 and R2 files were not in the same order. This is intermittent and may fit with your experience since it depends purely on the thread memory handling which can differ from run to run."

      I've re-created the fastq using a single thread. It obviously takes 8 times as long, but I'm not seeing the picard error this time. They've promised a new version with the bug fixed any day now, so keep your eyes open.

      Comment

      • cnicolet
        Member
        • Dec 2008
        • 35

        #4
        nextseq bcl2fastq

        this is a little off topic from the thread but seems related to some of the things both you guys are doing--do you have a slick way to zcat the bcl2fastq output correctly? I've been doing it "by hand" two files at a time

        Comment

        • TonyBrooks
          Senior Member
          • Jun 2009
          • 303

          #5
          Originally posted by cnicolet View Post
          this is a little off topic from the thread but seems related to some of the things both you guys are doing--do you have a slick way to zcat the bcl2fastq output correctly? I've been doing it "by hand" two files at a time
          I'm using a modified version of a script from Shingo Kikugawa
          It's single thread, so takes a while. It's still quicker than manual zcatting.

          I spoke to Illumina about this and a version of bcl2fastq is in the pipeline that will have a flag to stop lane splitting of fastq.
          Attached Files

          Comment

          Latest Articles

          Collapse

          • SEQadmin2
            New Genomics Technologies Take Aim at Long-Standing Limits
            by SEQadmin2


            Researchers using sequencing and genomics tools often have to make trade-offs. They can choose between speed or scale, short reads or long-range information, or targeted panels or a view of the whole transcriptome. New technologies that have been released this year are built to address those tough choices.

            We asked six companies the same four questions to learn about their latest products. The new technologies bring a lot to the table, including rethinking sequencing
            ...
            09-28-2026, 10:25 AM
          • SEQadmin2
            How Immunogenomics Decodes Immunity’s Genetic Blueprint
            by SEQadmin2




            The immune system’s power comes from its genetic diversity, allowing myriad threats to be neutralized through first recognizing foreign antigens. That diversity is also what makes the immune system so difficult to study. Recent advances in sequencing technology and computational biology, however, are giving researchers new tools to understand immune responses and immune-related diseases in greater detail.

            This convergence of genetics, immunology, and computation...
            09-01-2026, 05:41 AM

          ad_right_rmr

          Collapse

          News

          Collapse

          Topics Statistics Last Post
          Started by SEQadmin2, Yesterday, 09:51 AM
          0 responses
          11 views
          0 reactions
          Last Post SEQadmin2  
          Started by SEQadmin2, 09-25-2026, 09:06 AM
          0 responses
          34 views
          0 reactions
          Last Post SEQadmin2  
          Started by SEQadmin2, 09-23-2026, 11:05 AM
          0 responses
          28 views
          0 reactions
          Last Post SEQadmin2  
          Started by SEQadmin2, 09-18-2026, 11:37 AM
          1 response
          48 views
          0 reactions
          Last Post pekgio
          by pekgio
           
          Working...