Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 5' end adapter contamination

Hey All, I just have a general question. I am dealing with reads generated from illumina and am seeing the 5' adapter in many reads. Why would this occur? would it be a result of mis-annealing of the PCR primer?

Thanks for any help
    Leanne

Hi Leanne,

How did you generate your libraries? Which protocol or kit did you use?

Comment

At least there could be two reasons. If adapter dimers formed during PCR was not cleaned up properly, they will cluster during bridge amplification and sequenced. This type will result in reads which are all adapter sequences followed by predominantly A residues if sequencing cycle was longer than adapter length. Other reason would be where insert length is shorter than cycle number so all or part of adapter is also sequenced.

Comment

Get rid of those reads

Originally posted by nucacidhunter View Post
        Other reason would be where insert length is shorter than cycle number so all or part of adapter is also sequenced.
        I might be wrong but I think that when this happens it's the 3' that we see with adapter contamination and this is normal. I've also had Illumina sequenced reads come with adapter contamination at the 5' and at the sequencing facility they where unable to explain how this happened. They suggested removing all reads with this contamination. For me the % was low enough to afford losing them against messing up the assembly. I used TRIMMOMATIC to clean up the reads. You can provide an adapter.fasta file and you can include all Illumina adapters just in case. In my reads there was adapter-index-polyA contamination and when I googled the sequence it came up as RNA-Seq adapter and I was doing WGS.

My libraries were built with Truseq PCR-free kit.

Regards

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
          Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
          by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
          03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
        • seqadmin
          Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
          by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
          Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
          03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
        Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
        0 responses
        0 likes
        Last Post seqadmin  
        Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
        0 responses