No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• fastQC citation

Hi,

Just want to follow up with citation question. For fastQC, do you still want us to cite the website?

For trim_galore, is this the citation? Is it an actual publication with index?

Please advise.

Comment

• That would be a great new feature Simon! There is a list of adapters at;

There are some datasets at the Illumina website you can use as test.

Especially the Nextera adapter would be nice to include.

Comment

• Originally posted by JQL View Post
        Hi,

Just want to follow up with citation question. For fastQC, do you still want us to cite the website?

For trim_galore, is this the citation? Is it an actual publication with index?

Please advise.
        Yes, there's still no paper for either FastQC or trim galore (although we're probably going to put one out to go with the next release which is pretty much ready to go). We recommend just citing the URL.

Comment

• Originally posted by boetsie View Post
          That would be a great new feature Simon! There is a list of adapters at;

There are some datasets at the Illumina website you can use as test.

Especially the Nextera adapter would be nice to include.
          Thanks for sending that. Is that really an official posting on Illumina's site? They've been so tight over the years about not officially releasing the sequences of their adapters (so we didn't use sequences supplied by Illumina with FastQC for example), and then they go and post them on their website (along with the warning that you shouldn't post these anywhere!).

I'll take a look through that list but I think all of the Nextera adapters use the same common core as the bulk of their adapters so would get caught by the sequence we're already using.

Another request - if anyone has any nice examples of datasets heavily contaminated with different adapters and would be willing to run a test version of FastQC on them then it would be nice to get some confirmation that we're catching the cases we're after with this new module.

Comment

• I've looked through the official Illumina list and I'm pretty sure the two sequences we have will catch everything on there. If there's anyone with Ion Torrent or Solid data which is adapter contaminated I'll like to get those caught too but we don't have any suitable data to test with.

Comment

• Adapter Contamination Detection

Originally posted by simonandrews View Post
              Thanks for sending that. Is that really an official posting on Illumina's site? They've been so tight over the years about not officially releasing the sequences of their adapters (so we didn't use sequences supplied by Illumina with FastQC for example), and then they go and post them on their website (along with the warning that you shouldn't post these anywhere!).

I'll take a look through that list but I think all of the Nextera adapters use the same common core as the bulk of their adapters so would get caught by the sequence we're already using.

Another request - if anyone has any nice examples of datasets heavily contaminated with different adapters and would be willing to run a test version of FastQC on them then it would be nice to get some confirmation that we're catching the cases we're after with this new module.
              Hello,

This blog post is also of relevance here.

I am assembling a Bacterial Genome.
              Library details, Illumina MiSeq (Comes from a commercial sequencing provider)
              Paired end library:
              150bp Read Length
              450bp Fragment Lenght
              Mate pair Library:
              250bp Read Length
              300-1200bp (Average 700bp) Fragment Lenght

Used fastqc (with -k 10) on the Mate Pair data, both untrimmed and trimmed (Using Trimmomatic with Nextra adapters)
              The fastqc kmer-profiles plot for untrimmed data,
              Untrimmed Read 1
              Untrimmed Read 2

The fastqc kmer-profiles plot for trimmed data,
              (Using Trimmomatic 0.32 with Nextra adapters only)
              Trimmed Read 1
              Trimmed Read 2

An interesting observation is that this problem is not there with Paired end data for same sample. In my opinion this might be due to the shorter read lenght(150bp) in comparison to Mate Pair (250bp).

Hope this helps.

--
              prakhar

Comment

• Ha, I just wanted to post that blog prakhar!

In addition, the datasets from Illumina's BaseSpace are said to be publicly available; https://basespace.illumina.com/home/index

Comment

• Thanks - the blog was really useful and I've added in the Nextera transposase sequence as an extra check in the default set. I think the barcode Kmers in that blog are just read through effects from the same adapters so don't need to be considered separately.

I can improve this over time (and of course people can add their own sequences in manually) but I'd like to get as useful a default set as possible when the new version ships.

Comment

• Hi there!

Three quick questions....
                    1. What is the maximum amount of data fastqc can handle?
                    I am trying to analyze a huge concatenated sample of illumina data, but its stuck @"Starting analysis" for a while now. RAM is enough, and server is idle except for fastqc. I also see a running java command in top.
                    2. Any recommendations to filter away the bad sequences, fastqc had identified? mothur had filter.seqs, maybe something similar for illumina?
                    3. The whiskers in the boxplots are representing 100%?

Thank you very much!

Comment

• Originally posted by nouse View Post

Three quick questions....
                      1. What is the maximum amount of data fastqc can handle?
                      We've run it on data files with over 2 billion reads internally and it was OK. I seem to remember fixing a bug which affected some datasets with over 2^31 reads in them but these were corner cases.

Originally posted by nouse View Post
                      I am trying to analyze a huge concatenated sample of illumina data, but its stuck @"Starting analysis" for a while now. RAM is enough, and server is idle except for fastqc. I also see a running java command in top.
                      FastQC will only report on progress every 5% through the file so if it's a really big file it might take a while to get to 5%. If you can see the process running then you can check that it's taking both CPU and IO (using top and iotop). If it's doing both then it's probably OK. You could always use head to extract some reads from the top of the file and see if processing those works OK if you wanted to be sure it's likely to finish.

2. Any recommendations to filter away the bad sequences, fastqc had identified? mothur had filter.seqs, maybe something similar for illumina?
                      That depends what you mean by bad sequences. We use trim_galore (which we wrote and is simply a wrapper around cutadapt) for adapter and quality trimming, which is generally all of the filtering we apply to our data, but it will depend on what you're going to do with the remainder as to how you want to filter it.

3. The whiskers in the boxplots are representing 100%?
                      No, they're 10% - 90%. In big NGS datasets the real extremes are pretty uninformative so we look a bit further in.

Comment

• Thanks for the quick answer.

My 460 million reads were processed over night without troubles. I was just impatient.

I have paired end data, and it seems like some of the samples have problematic reverse reads (whiskers going down to phred<10 for some positions in some samples). This however seem to affect my downstream processing, so i want to get rid of say anything that has stretches of low quality over n bases. And anything with more than n ambigous base calls.
                        Mothur could do that fairly well with filter.seqs, but its just too slow for my dataset. also i need to convert fastq to fasta. SILVA ngs is able to that, too, but it is a webservice.
                        I check trim galore and solexaqa, but in the end i dont want to trim, i want to reject completely. I am a little bit surprised that those reads could make it out of the HiSeq (i was told the denoising is done internally).

Just to get the boxplots correctly, the whiskers represent 75-90 and 10-25% respectively. So, outside the whiskers there are still 20% of the data and outliers, correct?

Comment

• Trimmomatic can do a sliding window trimming, and can reject reads that are below a minimum quality or length threshold.

Comment

• You can do this sort of trimming with trim galore. Basically you specify to trim only based on quality and then reject anything with a final length which is shorter than the starting length. This would remove completely any reads which had any data removed.

Another thing to remember in Illumina data is that Illumina uses very low quality scores (I think it's a Phred score of 2 if I remember correctly) as a flag for calls it doens't like rather than as a true error probability. This is why you'll often see whiskers on fastqc plots suddently jump down to very low values and it's not really indicative of a sudden problem, just that some reads have crossed a threshold. There is an option to turn this off in the sequencing pipeline but I don't think anyone routinely uses it.

Comment

• Hello,

I really like this application, and have used it successfully on several files, but now I'm trying to compare it to a trimmed file, and the trimmed file gives this exception:

Exception in thread "Thread-4" java.lang.NullPointerException
                              at uk.ac.babraham.FastQC.Sequence.FastQFile.readNext(FastQFile.java:141)

at uk.ac.babraham.FastQC.Sequence.FastQFile.next(FastQFile.java:105)
                              at uk.ac.babraham.FastQC.Analysis.AnalysisRunner.run(AnalysisRunner.java
                              :76)
                              at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)

Has anyone encountered this before or know of any possible solution?
                              I am using data from IlluminaBodyMap2.
                              trimming with Trimmomatic using these options: -phred33,
                              ILLUMINACLIP:/home/Trimmomatic-0.30/adapters/TruSeq3-PE.fa:2:30:10 LEADING:3 TRAILING:3 SLIDINGWINDOW:4:15 MINLEN:20
                              The fastqc application is the latest windows version. (I just keep transferring to a linux VM)

Thanks to anyone who can help. The file refuses to complete due to the exception, but it reads 1362859 sequences before stopping.

Comment

• Hi Susanna - that error suggests that your fastq file stopped in the middle of a fastq entry (which is 4 lines long) which suggests that your file has been truncated. There will be a nicer error message in the next release, but it will still mean that you've lost some data during one of your transfers and you'll need to go back to the original source to ensure that you have the rest of the file. It's a good idea to check that the file sizes match when you've downloaded a file and if possible check the md5sums of the downloaded files so you know you have the same data.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                                  Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                                  by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                                  03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
                                • seqadmin
                                  Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
                                  by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
                                  Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
                                  03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                                Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
                                0 responses
                                0 likes
                                Last Post seqadmin  
                                Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
                                0 responses