Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by simonandrews View Post
    Maybe it's the longer sequence length which is causing the problem. Can you try changing the -Xmx250m to -Xmx500m and see if that works.
    That worked. Thanks!

Comment

thanks for such a nice tool. It saves me much time to develop such statistics by myself.

There are two tiny things that could be easily included:
      1) labeling of the x and y axis for the plots
      2) option to convert CS not to real NS but to pseudo NS: e.g. 0->A, 1->C, 2->G, 3->T

Regards
      M

Comment

I've just put FastQC v0.4.1 up on our website.

This is a bugfix release which should hopefully fix the out of memory problems people were seeing when analysing files containing longer sequences.

It also changes the way the duplicate levels are calculated (each sequence is now tracked to the end of the file), to give more realistic duplication counts. The cutoffs have also been altered to accommodate the new counts.

You can get the new version from:

http://www.bioinformatics.bbsrc.ac.uk/projects/fastqc/

[If you don't see the new version of any page hit control+refresh to force our cache to update]

Comment

Just a quick plug - there's a poster on FastQC at ISMB this week, and I'm around if anyone has any questions or suggestions about the package. It's poster U37.

Comment

First, congratulations and thanks for producing such a useful application! I've spent much too much time hacking to figure out stupid problems (e.g. short sequence+adapter n-mers we size-selected) that just pop out visually running your tool. I added it to our standard pipeline and just ran it retrospectively on the past 6 months of data, and I've already recommended it to several people.

One small but annoying problem: I think when you added colorspace support, you unwittingly created a failure mode for low-quality non-colorspace data with a "." in the first base position if it hasn't seen any bases yet -- it obviously falls through to testing for colorspace, where no initial base call is an illegal situation. Note that this is guaranteed to happen for paired-end runs on Illumina; since they apparently mark the second paired-end reads of any quality PF if their mates passed filter. Example:

Processing s_1_2_sequence.txt
            Exception in thread "main" java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: Refbase was . at position 1
            at uk.ac.bbsrc.babraham.FastQC.Sequence.FastQFile.convertColorspaceToBases(FastQFile.java:179)
            at uk.ac.bbsrc.babraham.FastQC.Sequence.FastQFile.readNext(FastQFile.java:124)
            at uk.ac.bbsrc.babraham.FastQC.Sequence.FastQFile.<init>(FastQFile.java:54)
            at uk.ac.bbsrc.babraham.FastQC.Analysis.OfflineRunner.processFile(OfflineRunner.java:45)
            at uk.ac.bbsrc.babraham.FastQC.Analysis.OfflineRunner.<init>(OfflineRunner.java:28)
            at uk.ac.bbsrc.babraham.FastQC.FastQCApplication.main(FastQCApplication.java:71)

This hangs the pipeline in non-X server mode; not sure if it's X related as in the previous posts, but it's not what you want to find in the morning ;-)

Cheers!
            Howie

Comment

Originally posted by Howie Goodell View Post
              One small but annoying problem: I think when you added colorspace support, you unwittingly created a failure mode for low-quality non-colorspace data with a "." in the first base position if it hasn't seen any bases yet -- it obviously falls through to testing for colorspace, where no initial base call is an illegal situation. Note that this is guaranteed to happen for paired-end runs on Illumina; since they apparently mark the second paired-end reads of any quality PF if their mates passed filter.
              That's strange - we've never seen that with out Illumina data - I wasn't aware that . was a valid character in a base call fastq file.

Any chance you could post a few entries which exhibit this problem, so I can adjust the colorspace detection so it recognises this kind of file correctly?

Comment

Sure Simon (one example is enough -- there are many just like it at the start of the filtered file):
                $head -4 s_1_2_sequence.txt
                @HWUSI-EAS572_0001:1:1:1066:17989#0/2
                ............................................................................
                +HWUSI-EAS572_0001:1:1:1066:17989#0/2
                BBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBB

I originally planned to temporarily create unfiltered FASTQ files just for FASTQC; so I'd have stats on the total run. This bug forced me to filter first, but for paired-end even that fails.

The ideal might be to defer the determination of colorspace or not until you find a called base. Then either start over or just put the reads with no called bases in a bin -- they are pretty homogeneous and pretty uninteresting; so not much to compute?

Cheers!
                Howie

Comment

Using the fastqc and fastx_toolkit checking on my same set of sanger fastq file, the per base quality plots (attached) seems to give different result. I know that the boxplots from the 2 programs vary slightly but I'll expect to see the median being the same.

I'm using the latest GUI fastqc downloaded from your site.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Just to be sure, did you use the -Q33 flag with fastx since illumina fastqs are phred+64 and standard fastq are phred+33

FastQC guesses the right format. fastx doesn't.

I must admit I've seen slight differences between the plots, but nothing as far as your results.

Comment

Yes, I did:

$ fastx_quality_stats -Q 33 -i s_5_1_BC1_36bp_q5.fq -o s_5_1_BC1_36bp_q5.qualstats &

Comment

Sounds like a great tool. Thanks. I am going through the documentation before trying it and I agree with Martin that it would be great to label the X and Y axes.

On that note, could you please explain the X and Y axis in "Per Sequence Quality Scores" and "Per Base Sequence Quality"

And why do these look quite similar for the "good dataset" and "poor dataset" ?

Comment

Also, what could be the reason for a dataset passing the "Per sequence Quality Score" test and failing the "Per base sequence quality" test ?

Comment

The labels for the Y axes appear in the inset boxes at the top right. There is a full description of each graph in the documentation. I'll look at adding a label for the x-axis.

The quality graphs look quite similar in the good and bad datasets because they're both real datasets, and it's hard to find a dataset which is poor in every respect! If you have a worse dataset you're prepared to (anonymously) donate to produce a worse 'bad' report then please contact me off list ([email protected]).

As for why you could get different results from the per-base and per-sequence qualities - they tell you quite different things. The per-base quality plot will tell you if there was a systematics problem with your run and whether this only affected a few cycles or all of them. If you find you have poor quality it would also give you an idea which cycle you could trim your sequence at to leave mostly good sequence.

The per-sequence plot would allow you to distinguish a run where all of the sequences showed poor quality from a run where a subset of sequences (say one end of the flowcell) had generally poor quality and the other end had good quality. If 5% of your sequences were of poor quality then you could pass the per base quality check, but fail the per sequence check.

Comment

Originally posted by zlu View Post
                              Using the fastqc and fastx_toolkit checking on my same set of sanger fastq file, the per base quality plots (attached) seems to give different result. I know that the boxplots from the 2 programs vary slightly but I'll expect to see the median being the same.

I'm using the latest GUI fastqc downloaded from your site.
                              That's odd. The relative scales of the two graphs are the same, but all of the FastQC ones are offset by 6. Can you check in the text file generated by FastQC and see if the numbers there agree with the FastQC or FastX plots. If the text values are different to the scores then it could be a plotting bug.

Comment

Thanks very much. I am a newbie to NGS, so please bear with me. I apologize if my questions are too basic.

How is the "Per Sequence Quality" calculated ? Is it an average of the quality of each base in the sequence ? Or is it more complicated than that ?

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                                  Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                                  by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                                  03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
                                • seqadmin
                                  Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
                                  by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
                                  Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
                                  03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                                Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
                                0 responses
                                0 likes
                                Last Post seqadmin  
                                Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
                                0 responses