Unconfigured Ad

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • prolife
    Junior Member
    • Apr 2014
    • 4

    #1

    Bowtie2 basic problem!

    Hi

    I'm new in the bioinformatic field and I have a basic problem

    I have a read,in fastq format, ready to align on my reference genome (human genome), but I'm not able to do that!

    I've understand that I must to indexing my genome and create a basename before convert my fastq in a sam file.

    I need your help, I've read the tutorial but I haven't the sufficient bioinformatic knoledge to do that by myself.

    Thanks
  • mastal
    Senior Member
    • Mar 2009
    • 666

    #2
    Look at the 'Getting started' section of the Bowtie webpage and work through their example.

    You can also download pre-built versions of the genome index from the links on the Bowtie webpage, including links to Illumina's iGenomes.

    Comment

    • prolife
      Junior Member
      • Apr 2014
      • 4

      #3
      Solved, thanks!

      Comment

      • simobioinfo
        Member
        • Aug 2014
        • 40

        #4
        Hi,
        i'm trying to index GRCh37 with Bowtie2. RAM is 1.5Gb and indexing has been ongoing for more than 48 hours.
        Is it normal?

        Comment

        • Brian Bushnell
          Super Moderator
          • Jan 2014
          • 2709

          #5
          No, Bowtie2's indexing is really slow, but not THAT slow. When you say "RAM is 1.5Gb" do you mean the amount of RAM used by the process, or total memory on the computer? Also, knowing the exact operating system and CPU type would be very helpful.

          Also look at the CPU utilization for that process (e.g. with "top").

          Comment

          • simobioinfo
            Member
            • Aug 2014
            • 40

            #6
            The total memory of computer is 4Gb while 1.5Gb is the memory allocated for ubuntu that I use as virtual machine. What do you intend for CPU type. Processor is i3, 1.8Ghz.
            Is "top" a command that I have to digit?
            Now indexing is running, so I can't work on shell!!

            Comment

            • Brian Bushnell
              Super Moderator
              • Jan 2014
              • 2709

              #7
              I don't think 1.5Gb is enough for Bowtie2 to index or map to Human. If you have a 64-bit OS, you should kill the process, give Ubuntu all the memory, and restart it.

              Comment

              • GenoMax
                Senior Member
                • Feb 2008
                • 7142

                #8
                1.5GB RAM is not enough for this process (or the VM). Plus you are probably running 32-bit Ubuntu, which will become a problem with human genome size datasets. You should find an alternate machine with better hardware to do this.

                Comment

                • simobioinfo
                  Member
                  • Aug 2014
                  • 40

                  #9
                  No I'm running 64-bit Ubuntu. So do you think I might solve this problem allocating the entire RAM to Ubuntu virtual machine?

                  Comment

                  • GenoMax
                    Senior Member
                    • Feb 2008
                    • 7142

                    #10
                    How much actual RAM do you have (4?) on this machine? Since the host OS is using some of it you will not be able to allocate all 4GB for the VM.

                    Comment

                    • simobioinfo
                      Member
                      • Aug 2014
                      • 40

                      #11
                      On my PC I have 4Gb of RAM. I suppose it could not be possible to allocate all 4Gb for VM. What can I do to improve performance of my PC?

                      Comment

                      • simobioinfo
                        Member
                        • Aug 2014
                        • 40

                        #12
                        Maybe I could expand RAM of my PC. What do you think about it?

                        Comment

                        • GenoMax
                          Senior Member
                          • Feb 2008
                          • 7142

                          #13
                          Are you able to purchase more RAM? Please be aware that trying to do human data alignments in a VM is going to be a difficult task. You may be able to run a single alignment thread in the VM.

                          From Bowtie Manual

                          Bowtie 2 indexes the genome with an FM Index (based on the Burrows-Wheeler Transform or BWT) to keep its memory footprint small: for the human genome, its memory footprint is typically around 3.2 gigabytes of RAM.

                          Comment

                          • simobioinfo
                            Member
                            • Aug 2014
                            • 40

                            #14
                            Or I could allocate 3Gb of RAM for VM? It could improve indexing and other analyses?

                            Comment

                            • simobioinfo
                              Member
                              • Aug 2014
                              • 40

                              #15
                              I have a Mac with 4GB of RAM and 1333Mhz. It is my personal machine but do you think I could use this computer to run analysis or Mac is not good?
                              Excuse me but I'm a newbie.

                              Comment

                              Latest Articles

                              Collapse

                              • SEQadmin2
                                New Genomics Technologies Take Aim at Long-Standing Limits
                                by SEQadmin2


                                Researchers using sequencing and genomics tools often have to make trade-offs. They can choose between speed or scale, short reads or long-range information, or targeted panels or a view of the whole transcriptome. New technologies that have been released this year are built to address those tough choices.

                                We asked six companies the same four questions to learn about their latest products. The new technologies bring a lot to the table, including rethinking sequencing
                                ...
                                Yesterday, 10:25 AM
                              • SEQadmin2
                                How Immunogenomics Decodes Immunity’s Genetic Blueprint
                                by SEQadmin2




                                The immune system’s power comes from its genetic diversity, allowing myriad threats to be neutralized through first recognizing foreign antigens. That diversity is also what makes the immune system so difficult to study. Recent advances in sequencing technology and computational biology, however, are giving researchers new tools to understand immune responses and immune-related diseases in greater detail.

                                This convergence of genetics, immunology, and computation...
                                09-01-2026, 05:41 AM

                              ad_right_rmr

                              Collapse

                              News

                              Collapse

                              Topics Statistics Last Post
                              Started by SEQadmin2, 09-25-2026, 09:06 AM
                              0 responses
                              30 views
                              0 reactions
                              Last Post SEQadmin2  
                              Started by SEQadmin2, 09-23-2026, 11:05 AM
                              0 responses
                              25 views
                              0 reactions
                              Last Post SEQadmin2  
                              Started by SEQadmin2, 09-18-2026, 11:37 AM
                              1 response
                              46 views
                              0 reactions
                              Last Post pekgio
                              by pekgio
                               
                              Started by SEQadmin2, 09-16-2026, 10:23 AM
                              1 response
                              55 views
                              0 reactions
                              Last Post pekgio
                              by pekgio
                               
                              Working...