Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Difference between TRANSFAC and JASPER database

Hello can someone tell me what is the main difference between TRANSFAC and JASPER database.

thanks for your reply in advance
    regards

Pretty much what JASPAR (not Jasper) says right on their web site. The really major difference being JASPAR is open source whereas TRANSFAC is a commercial for-fee access preduct owned by BioBase (which is owned by Qiagen).

JASPAR also claims they have superior quality of curation and less redundancy. I'm not sure how true that is, since TRANSFAC is also curated and one of its selling points is you are paying for the professional quality of their data and tools. It is also something I think is inherently speculative, since there is no way to compare the two as to which is "better" (and if so, in what sense of the word?).

Note that the free, limited version of TRANSFAC is definitely not comparable to JASPAR as it is out of date and very limited. However, I'd think that the for-fee TRANSFAC Pro release and tools is probably pretty much on a par with JASPAR.
    Michael Black, Ph.D.
    ScitoVation LLC. RTP, N.C.

Comment

Thanks for your reply. Could you please tell me what would be the convincing statment to ask my supervisor to give me the fund for the TRANSFAC license. Please tell me as I am student and very new in this field.
      thanks

Originally posted by mbblack View Post
      Pretty much what JASPAR (not Jasper) says right on their web site. The really major difference being JASPAR is open source whereas TRANSFAC is a commercial for-fee access preduct owned by BioBase (which is owned by Qiagen).

JASPAR also claims they have superior quality of curation and less redundancy. I'm not sure how true that is, since TRANSFAC is also curated and one of its selling points is you are paying for the professional quality of their data and tools. It is also something I think is inherently speculative, since there is no way to compare the two as to which is "better" (and if so, in what sense of the word?).

Note that the free, limited version of TRANSFAC is definitely not comparable to JASPAR as it is out of date and very limited. However, I'd think that the for-fee TRANSFAC Pro release and tools is probably pretty much on a par with JASPAR.

Comment

Sorry, but I have no idea what to tell you to tell your supervisor as far as what to spend his or her research money on.

Have you tried using JASPAR yet? Are the results unsatisfactory in some way?

Have you tried the free trial for TRANSFAC and compared the results to JASPAR?

Does anybody else in your school use TRANSFAC so you could check out the full version?

As I already said, as far as I know, its pretty much a toss up as to which is "better" (and I'm not even clear on how you would define "better" in such a case anyway).
        Michael Black, Ph.D.
        ScitoVation LLC. RTP, N.C.

Comment

Genexplain recently uploaded a white paper explaining the difference between TRANSFAC and JASPAR. It seems when we use TRANSFAC there are chances that we don't miss important matrices that play a role in the regulation of genes of interest. The white paper link can be found here:

Old thread but maybe it is still useful to someone.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
            Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
            by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
            03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
          • seqadmin
            Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
            by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
            Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
            03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
          Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
          0 responses
          0 likes
          Last Post seqadmin  
          Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
          0 responses