Unconfigured Ad

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • shurjo
    Senior Member
    • Jan 2009
    • 132

    #1

    cuffdiff for between-group comparison

    Hello everyone,

    I have been using cufflinks to get fpkm values and then analyzing these using the JMP statistical package for identifying between-group differential expression (8 cases and 8 controls). Can someone tell me if there is a way to do this using cuffdiff as well? From my reading of the manual, it seems that giving cuffdiff more than 2 sam files causes it to treat the data as a time series, which is not the case for my experiment. I considered just merging all the sam files from the 8 subjects in each group, but that way I will lose the power of the multiple replicates.

    Any suggestions will be much appreciated,

    Thanks,

    Shurjo
  • blackgore
    Member
    • Sep 2009
    • 20

    #2
    I had a similar problem recently, and had to try another program (DESeq) for dealing with groups - unfortunately cuffdiff didn't support the use of replicates. With luck that will change in a future release!

    Comment

    • xguo
      Member
      • Jul 2008
      • 48

      #3
      Originally posted by blackgore View Post
      I had a similar problem recently, and had to try another program (DESeq) for dealing with groups - unfortunately cuffdiff didn't support the use of replicates. With luck that will change in a future release!
      How do you guys test relative isoform abundance changes among multiple experiments? Is it easy to do hypothesis test based on Jensen-Shannon divergence in R or SAS?

      Comment

      • shurjo
        Senior Member
        • Jan 2009
        • 132

        #4
        Originally posted by blackgore View Post
        I had a similar problem recently, and had to try another program (DESeq) for dealing with groups - unfortunately cuffdiff didn't support the use of replicates. With luck that will change in a future release!
        Thanks for your feedback! I am also using DESeq as an alternative.

        Comment

        • shurjo
          Senior Member
          • Jan 2009
          • 132

          #5
          Originally posted by xguo View Post
          How do you guys test relative isoform abundance changes among multiple experiments? Is it easy to do hypothesis test based on Jensen-Shannon divergence in R or SAS?
          I believe that Cufflinks has this functionality built in, using the algorithm that was published recently from the Wong lab (http://bioinformatics.oxfordjournals...reprint/btp113). However, I haven't gotten around to looking at this aspect of my data yet.

          Thanks,

          Shurjo

          Comment

          • xguo
            Member
            • Jul 2008
            • 48

            #6
            Originally posted by shurjo View Post
            I believe that Cufflinks has this functionality built in, using the algorithm that was published recently from the Wong lab (http://bioinformatics.oxfordjournals...reprint/btp113). However, I haven't gotten around to looking at this aspect of my data yet.

            Thanks,

            Shurjo
            cuffdiff extended the idea of using entropy to quantify relative isoform abundance and devised a hypothesis test based on Jensen-Shannon metric. However, as you said in the previous post, cuffdiff doesn't handle between-group comparison. Actually, it may be better to parse cuffdiff results and use other statistical package to do downstream analysis, which allows you more choices for differentially expression, clustering, and other things. I'm just not sure if there is any R package that handles Jensen-Shannon metric.

            Comment

            • blackgore
              Member
              • Sep 2009
              • 20

              #7
              it also wasn't the focus of my project at the time, so I didn't worry about it too much, I'm afraid.

              Comment

              • honey
                Senior Member
                • Feb 2010
                • 151

                #8
                With my limited knowledge of stat I am trying to understand that DEseq basically do more quality control- normalisation etc and can also take replicates into consideration. Other than that if there are no replicates Cuffdiff/ Cuff comapre will provide the similar level of analysis. Any suggestion please.

                Thanks

                Comment

                • Thomas Doktor
                  Senior Member
                  • Apr 2009
                  • 105

                  #9
                  Cuffdiff handles replicates now.

                  Comment

                  Latest Articles

                  Collapse

                  • SEQadmin2
                    New Genomics Technologies Take Aim at Long-Standing Limits
                    by SEQadmin2


                    Researchers using sequencing and genomics tools often have to make trade-offs. They can choose between speed or scale, short reads or long-range information, or targeted panels or a view of the whole transcriptome. New technologies that have been released this year are built to address those tough choices.

                    We asked six companies the same four questions to learn about their latest products. The new technologies bring a lot to the table, including rethinking sequencing
                    ...
                    Today, 10:25 AM
                  • SEQadmin2
                    How Immunogenomics Decodes Immunity’s Genetic Blueprint
                    by SEQadmin2




                    The immune system’s power comes from its genetic diversity, allowing myriad threats to be neutralized through first recognizing foreign antigens. That diversity is also what makes the immune system so difficult to study. Recent advances in sequencing technology and computational biology, however, are giving researchers new tools to understand immune responses and immune-related diseases in greater detail.

                    This convergence of genetics, immunology, and computation...
                    09-01-2026, 05:41 AM

                  ad_right_rmr

                  Collapse

                  News

                  Collapse

                  Topics Statistics Last Post
                  Started by SEQadmin2, 09-25-2026, 09:06 AM
                  0 responses
                  27 views
                  0 reactions
                  Last Post SEQadmin2  
                  Started by SEQadmin2, 09-23-2026, 11:05 AM
                  0 responses
                  24 views
                  0 reactions
                  Last Post SEQadmin2  
                  Started by SEQadmin2, 09-18-2026, 11:37 AM
                  1 response
                  45 views
                  0 reactions
                  Last Post pekgio
                  by pekgio
                   
                  Started by SEQadmin2, 09-16-2026, 10:23 AM
                  1 response
                  55 views
                  0 reactions
                  Last Post pekgio
                  by pekgio
                   
                  Working...