Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Enrichment of disease ontology enrichment

I have recently come across a R package that allows users to check for genes in the disease ontology (DO.db), and I thought it might be interesting to run an enrichment test on this ontology.

Currently, I have come across 2 R packages that support this option:
    (1) GeneAnswers package
    (2) DOSE package

Apperently, GeneAnswers allows the usage of DOLite (a more condensced ontology renaming categories as groups) but not the usage of DO, and DOSE enrichment command allows both options. Furthermore, it seems both DOSE and GeneAnswers are using hypergeometric tests. Nevertheless, when I run both commands for DOLite with the same p-adjustment method (FDR/Benjamini) and same p-value threshold (0.05) for the same genes, I am getting quite a difference in results.

My questions are:
    (1) Is anyone here familiar with GeneAnswers and DOSE packages enough to know how they differ technically?
    (2) Is any of the 2 packages considered generally better than the other?
    (3) Are there any other good tools (in any programming language) that can be used to analyse the enrichment of disease ontology from gene names?
    "Though it may seem that all's been said and done, originality still lives on" - some unoriginal guy who had nothing better to write as his signature

please refer to : http://bioinformatics.oxfordjournals...bstract/btu684

DOSE supports DOLite (which was not updated) and DO (recently updated) with hypergeometric test and Gene Set Enrichment Analysis.

Comment

For comparing GeneAnswers and DOSE (internal algorithm is same as in clusterProfiler), please refer to: http://ygc.name/2014/08/07/why-clusterprofiler-fails/

Originally posted by Orr Shomroni View Post
      I have recently come across a R package that allows users to check for genes in the disease ontology (DO.db), and I thought it might be interesting to run an enrichment test on this ontology.

Currently, I have come across 2 R packages that support this option:
      (1) GeneAnswers package
      (2) DOSE package

Apperently, GeneAnswers allows the usage of DOLite (a more condensced ontology renaming categories as groups) but not the usage of DO, and DOSE enrichment command allows both options. Furthermore, it seems both DOSE and GeneAnswers are using hypergeometric tests. Nevertheless, when I run both commands for DOLite with the same p-adjustment method (FDR/Benjamini) and same p-value threshold (0.05) for the same genes, I am getting quite a difference in results.

My questions are:
      (1) Is anyone here familiar with GeneAnswers and DOSE packages enough to know how they differ technically?
      (2) Is any of the 2 packages considered generally better than the other?
      (3) Are there any other good tools (in any programming language) that can be used to analyse the enrichment of disease ontology from gene names?

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
        Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
        by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
        03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
      • seqadmin
        Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
        by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
        Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
        03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
      Started by seqadmin, 03-27-2024, 06:37 PM
      0 responses
      0 likes
      Last Post seqadmin  
      Started by seqadmin, 03-27-2024, 06:07 PM
      0 responses