No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• blast output to clustalw

Hi,
    Which prorgams convert the tblastn output to clustal family program? How about blastp output?

Look forward to your reply,

Carol

"clustal" as in multiple sequence alignment family of programs?

Are you referring to getting "hits" from a blast search in fasta format so they can be fed into clustal?

Comment

yes.

the blast output contains the hits in effect but not in the fasta format. it's in the text format in which the hits are presented by NCBI reference sequence, description, score, identity and e-value

Comment

If you are doing your blast at NCBI then you can download fasta format sequences for the hits by using the download option on the results page (see attached screenshot).

If the blast is being done locally then you can extract the hits switching to tabular output for your blast and then retrieve fasta format sequences from the blast database using blast command line utilities as described here: http://seqanswers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8805
        Attached Files

Comment

OK thanks. fasta format for the output is not available in the download menu on the top of blast output result. That's why I thought that it's not available at all.

In addition to clustal, is there any known good soft for phylogeny? I know that there are phylip, treeview etc but don't know if any body is experience with this and can share his experience.

Comment

Take a look at MEGA, if you want a desktop based alternative.

Comment

mview

Comment

and to view the tree, in addition to treeview, which tools could be used? If the tree is saved in the fasta format, can clustal be used just for viewing?

What would you recomment to use as output format and viewing in terms of simplicity, less time and memory consuming, efficiency etc?

Comment

Originally posted by ssully View Post
                  I have a 450M fasta file of protein seq which is too large to upload in mview. What is the solution?

Comment

I don't think a web based solution is going to work with data of that size.

Is this an exploratory project where you are just interested in seeing a "tree" as to how the sequences are related or do you intend to do some serious phylogenetic analysis?

Comment

Originally posted by GenoMax View Post
                      Take a look at MEGA, if you want a desktop based alternative.
                      Unfortunately, it doesn't seem that there is a linux version

Comment

I don't think a web based solution is going to work with data of that size.

Is this an exploratory project where you are just interested in seeing a "tree" as to how the sequences are related or do you intend to do some serious phylogenetic analysis?
                        I want to do some serious phylogentic analysis but I'm not sure of my soft choice yet. I'm just using an extract of my data but if this or other software will be my choice, I will have a bigger data file unless I can use other supported formats more compact than fasta. So I can consider the program running on unix but if I can optimize in terms of data format, I will be happy to change the input format

Comment

I don't know if anybody is experience with treeview but it crashed when I just uploaded a 5k phylip format file,

Comment

should I select complete fasta format or aligned fasta format for clustal for multiple or pairwise alignment and building tree?

the fasta format contains nucleotide sequence. it seems that there is no way to have fasta file with amino acid sequence? even if I do tblastn, why not?

If you are doing your blast at NCBI then you can download fasta format sequences for the hits by using the download option on the results page (see attached screenshot).

If the blast is being done locally then you can extract the hits switching to tabular output for your blast and then retrieve fasta format sequences from the blast database using blast command line utilities as described here: http://seqanswers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8805

Comment

Originally posted by carolW View Post
                              should I select complete fasta format or aligned fasta format for clustal for multiple or pairwise alignment and building tree?

the fasta format contains nucleotide sequence. it seems that there is no way to have fasta file with amino acid sequence? even if I do tblastn, why not?
                              Use complete fasta format for clustalW and related analysis.

Fasta format can include either nucleotide or protein sequence. If you are going to search for homologous sequences then starting your search with a protein sequence would be much better. Look at the delta-blast option at NCBI. It does seem to work much better then manually doing multiple psi-blast rounds.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                                Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                                by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                                03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
                              • seqadmin
                                Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
                                by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
                                Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
                                03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                              Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
                              0 responses
                              0 likes
                              Last Post seqadmin  
                              Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
                              0 responses