No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• building a consensus sequence with samtools

Hi

I am trying to build a consensus sequence for the chloroplast based on a bam file of reads that aligned to the reference chloroplast. I will ultimately repeat this process for many populations and use the consensus sequences in a phylogenetic analysis.

After reading several threads online I'm using the following commands:

However, I still have questions about a few of the flags/settings in samtools mpileup and bcftools

Samtools mpileup:
    1) does setting -d to 5000 mean that only information from 5000 reads are considered for the output?
    2) am I correct that using -E means that BAQ scores for each base are calculated anew and scores associated with the bam file are ignored? What is the advantage of this?
    3) Should I be setting -Q in order to avoid information from reads that have a low BAQ at the position in question? How does one determine a cutoff for Q?
    4) the F, L and m flags deal with INDELS. I do not expect many of these given how close my species is to the reference. Should I be setting m higher than the default in that case? I really don't understand what F does...can someone please clarify?

Bcftools/ vcfutils
    1) does the -g setting force the algorithm to call a single base?
    2) what settings do I need to use to include ambiguous codes? My samples are pools of individuals so I would like for my consensus to include the IUPAC ambiguity codes in cases where there are some reads with one base and others with another.

Sorry for all the questions: I've had a hard time finding clear answers/documentation on this topic. If I've overlooked something please let me know!

Thanks!

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
    Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
    by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
    03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
  • seqadmin
    Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
    by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
    Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
    03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
0 responses
0 likes
Last Post seqadmin  
Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
0 responses