Unconfigured Ad

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Bio.X2Y
    Member
    • Apr 2010
    • 46

    #1

    Bowtie maxbts

    Hi,

    I understand that Bowtie offers the 'maxbts' and 'pairtries' parameters to control the trade-off between processing time and comprehensive search.

    The following scenario is confusing me: if I map both ends of an ambiguous pair to hg19 independently, setting maxbts to 10billion, I get back 12k hits for end #1 and 14k hits for end #2.

    However, if I map the pair as a pair, using 'tryhard' to give a high 'pairtries', I end up getting back pairings where one of the ends maps to a location that wasn't picked up in the original independent search.

    My question is: what would cause the independent search to miss matches that the paired search picks up? I presumed that memory and maxbts are the only limiting factors?

    Thanks,
    Bio.X2Y

    Inputs:

    File: dodgy_input_1
    @HWI-EAS283:2:1:810:1386#0/1
    GGGAGTTCGAGACCAGCCTGACCAACATGGAGAAACCCTG
    +HWI-EAS283:2:1:810:1386#0/1
    ]bZ``aaabbbbb`bX`_babbaa`abb`aaaaaa``aaa

    File: dodgy_input_2
    @HWI-EAS283:2:1:810:1386#0/2
    CCCGGGTTCAACCAATTCTCCTGCCTCAGCCTCCTGAGTA
    +HWI-EAS283:2:1:810:1386#0/2
    a_a_Zbababaa`bbbbababb`babbb]_aaaabbabab

    Independent Search:

    time /Volumes/Thymine/bowtie-0.12.5/bowtie \
    -t \
    -n 2 \
    -m 100000 \
    -a \
    -p 4 \
    --maxbts 1000000000 \
    --best \
    --solexa1.3-quals \
    --chunkmbs 128 \
    hg19 \
    dodgy_input_1,dodgy_input_2 \
    --un dodgy_pair_independent_unmatched.bowtie \
    --max dodgy_pair_independent_ambiguous.bowtie \
    dodgy_pair_independent_matched.bowtie \
    &> dodgy_pair_independent_console.out

    Paired Search:

    time /Volumes/Thymine/bowtie-0.12.5/bowtie \
    -t \
    -n 2 \
    -m 1000 \
    -a \
    -p 4 \
    --best \
    --tryhard \
    --solexa1.3-quals \
    --chunkmbs 128 \
    hg19 \
    -1 dodgy_input_1 \
    -2 dodgy_input_2 \
    --un dodgy_pair_pe_unmatched.bowtie \
    --max dodgy_pair_pe_ambiguous.bowtie \
    dodgy_pair_pe_matched.bowtie \
    &> dodgy_pair_pe_console.out

    Results:

    For the independent search, I get 12,637 matches to end #1 and 13,946 matches to end #2.

    For the paired search, I get 919 pairs (although I expected 393 since that many pair combinations from the original results can be combined to form pairs that satisfy -I and -X).

    Example of result pair that has a mapping for end #2 that did not appear in the independent search:
    HWI-EAS283:2:1:810:1386#0/1 + chr11 107533126 GGGAGTTCGAGACCAGCCTGACCAACATGGAGAAACCCTG >C;AABBBCCCCCAC9A@CBCCBBABCCABBBBBBAABBB 344
    HWI-EAS283:2:1:810:1386#0/2 - chr11 107533223 TACTCAGGAGGCTGAGGCAGGAGAATTGGTTGAACCCGGG CBCBCCBBBB@>CCCBCACCBCBCCCCABBCBCBC;@B@B 344 11:C>G,13:C>T
  • Bio.X2Y
    Member
    • Apr 2010
    • 46

    #2
    Hi,

    Sorry for bumping this, but I'd still be very interested if anyone has any thoughts on this?

    To summarise, I'm finding that if I use Bowtie to map both ends of my paired-end reads independently, it fails to find some matches that it does find when I map them as a pair.

    I can't find anything in the manual that would explain this behaviour, and I'd like to get a feel for why it's happening,

    Thanks for your time,
    Bio

    Comment

    • Ben Langmead
      Senior Member
      • Sep 2008
      • 200

      #3
      Bio,

      I'm a little confused by the question, but I think the answer is that when you have a pair of mates and one mate lies in a repeat (repeated more times than your -m threshold, say) and the other lies in unique sequence, Bowtie can resolve the "true" location of the repetitive mate. In that way, a mate whose alignments would otherwise be suppressed by -m in unpaired mode might be reported in paired mode.

      Hope that helps,
      Ben

      Comment

      • Bio.X2Y
        Member
        • Apr 2010
        • 46

        #4
        Hi Ben,

        Thanks for the reply, but I think what I'm seeing is something slightly different.

        To summarise the above, I independently mapped both ends of a single pair using "-m 100000", and got 12,637 matches to end #1 and 13,946 matches to end #2. Since I used tryhard, it implies that neither read has more than 100,000 matches (because if it did, it would be suppressed by -m). It also implies that I should be seeing all the matches.

        When I mapped them as a pair, therefore, I didn't expect to see any hits for either end that did not appear in the original search.

        Does this mean that even when I use "-m" and "tryhard", I might still be missing out on a lot of matches?

        Thanks again,
        Bio

        Comment

        • Ben Langmead
          Senior Member
          • Sep 2008
          • 200

          #5
          Originally posted by Bio.X2Y View Post
          When I mapped them as a pair, therefore, I didn't expect to see any hits for either end that did not appear in the original search.
          This is the part I would dispute. You do expect to "recover" some alignments that were suppressed in the original search.

          Hope that helps,
          Ben

          Comment

          Latest Articles

          Collapse

          • SEQadmin2
            New Genomics Technologies Take Aim at Long-Standing Limits
            by SEQadmin2


            Researchers using sequencing and genomics tools often have to make trade-offs. They can choose between speed or scale, short reads or long-range information, or targeted panels or a view of the whole transcriptome. New technologies that have been released this year are built to address those tough choices.

            We asked six companies the same four questions to learn about their latest products. The new technologies bring a lot to the table, including rethinking sequencing
            ...
            Yesterday, 10:25 AM
          • SEQadmin2
            How Immunogenomics Decodes Immunity’s Genetic Blueprint
            by SEQadmin2




            The immune system’s power comes from its genetic diversity, allowing myriad threats to be neutralized through first recognizing foreign antigens. That diversity is also what makes the immune system so difficult to study. Recent advances in sequencing technology and computational biology, however, are giving researchers new tools to understand immune responses and immune-related diseases in greater detail.

            This convergence of genetics, immunology, and computation...
            09-01-2026, 05:41 AM

          ad_right_rmr

          Collapse

          News

          Collapse

          Topics Statistics Last Post
          Started by SEQadmin2, 09-25-2026, 09:06 AM
          0 responses
          29 views
          0 reactions
          Last Post SEQadmin2  
          Started by SEQadmin2, 09-23-2026, 11:05 AM
          0 responses
          24 views
          0 reactions
          Last Post SEQadmin2  
          Started by SEQadmin2, 09-18-2026, 11:37 AM
          1 response
          46 views
          0 reactions
          Last Post pekgio
          by pekgio
           
          Started by SEQadmin2, 09-16-2026, 10:23 AM
          1 response
          55 views
          0 reactions
          Last Post pekgio
          by pekgio
           
          Working...