I want to run HTSeq on count number of mapped mRNA reads on Human genes (GENCode GTF file). However, I have to modify this gtf file because I want to allow a search region of an offset of -200 bp upstream of each gene. I think I need to add exon of length 200bp to each gene, so, HTSeq can count the reads that overlap such regions. Do you know if there is some script (code) which can do that?
Unconfigured Ad
Collapse
X
-
Thank you very much @dpryan. I think I will write this code. I guess it is simple but needs more careful analysis. This is because we need to check for each gene (or transcript) if the new upstream region will not hit any upstream gene. If such case happens, then we need to shrink the upstream region accordingly. Is this right? or we let genes overlap with each other (then HTSeq will identify reads as ambiguous)
Comment
-
Thanks @dpryan. I agree with you that we do not need to shrink, however, I suggested this to avoid eliminating reads from being counted by HTSeq count. Actually, I do not like the ambiguity approach in HTSeq count because it artificially changes the way the expression count is defined. I just posted a question about this.
Comment
-
I agree with you if you mean that HTSeq-count is intended to generate expression matrix for detection of differentially expressed genes. Unfortunately, this is just one single applications, while, many applications need expression matrix that reflect the actual expression mechanism. Please correct me if you think this is not true and/or not accurate.
Comment
Latest Articles
Collapse
-
by SEQadmin2
The immune system’s power comes from its genetic diversity, allowing myriad threats to be neutralized through first recognizing foreign antigens. That diversity is also what makes the immune system so difficult to study. Recent advances in sequencing technology and computational biology, however, are giving researchers new tools to understand immune responses and immune-related diseases in greater detail.
This convergence of genetics, immunology, and computation...-
Channel: Articles
09-01-2026, 05:41 AM -
ad_right_rmr
Collapse
News
Collapse
| Topics | Statistics | Last Post | ||
|---|---|---|---|---|
|
Started by SEQadmin2, 09-25-2026, 09:06 AM
|
0 responses
22 views
0 reactions
|
Last Post
by SEQadmin2
09-25-2026, 09:06 AM
|
||
|
Started by SEQadmin2, 09-23-2026, 11:05 AM
|
0 responses
22 views
0 reactions
|
Last Post
by SEQadmin2
09-23-2026, 11:05 AM
|
||
|
Started by SEQadmin2, 09-18-2026, 11:37 AM
|
1 response
44 views
0 reactions
|
Last Post
by pekgio
09-21-2026, 02:04 AM
|
||
|
Started by SEQadmin2, 09-16-2026, 10:23 AM
|
1 response
55 views
0 reactions
|
Last Post
by pekgio
09-21-2026, 02:12 AM
|
Comment