No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Samtools Pileup Parser

Hi,
    I'm trying to parse the Samtools Pileup format in Perl.

I've created a paired-end assembly using BWA (aln, sampe) and then used Samtools to create a pileup (using import - sort - index - pileup).

What I want to do is to open up the pileup (which is obviously in the Samtools Pileup format) and iterate over each position of the pileup, examining differences in base-calls.

Does anyone know of anything available, or have and sample code they could post?
    Many thanks.

You cannot open a file in Pileup format with Bio:B::sam

You should convert your SAM file to BAM format (samtools view) and sort it (samtools sort), maybe index it too? I'm not sure (samtools index).

Then follow the instructions in the CPAN website, which are very, veryhelpful. Basically:

use Bio:B::Sam;
    my $sam = Bio:B::Sam->new(-bam => "my_sorted_bam_file.bam",
    -fasta => "my_ref.fasta");
    my @targets = $sam->seq_ids;
    foreach my $chr (@targets){
    $sam->pileup($chr,$my_subroutine);
    }

where $my_subroutine is a subroutine that you'll need to get to do what you want: snp calling, coverage calculation...

Comment

Originally posted by Pepe View Post
      You cannot open a file in Pileup format with Bio:B::sam

You should convert your SAM file to BAM format (samtools view) and sort it (samtools sort), maybe index it too? I'm not sure (samtools index).

Then follow the instructions in the CPAN website, which are very, veryhelpful. Basically:

use Bio:B::Sam;
      my $sam = Bio:B::Sam->new(-bam => "my_sorted_bam_file.bam",
      -fasta => "my_ref.fasta");
      my @targets = $sam->seq_ids;
      foreach my $chr (@targets){
      $sam->pileup($chr,$my_subroutine);
      }

where $my_subroutine is a subroutine that you'll need to get to do what you want: snp calling, coverage calculation...
      Hi,
      Thanks for your answer. I'd realised that Bio:B:Sam couldn't parse the pileup, so this is why I am asking if anyone has, or knows about, anything that could parse it, before I spent time writing a Samtools parser myself.
      I have a 'Parser.pm' module that parses various pileup formats (maq, bowtie, novoalign, etc), but I haven't added one for Samtools format yet.
      Cheers,
      Graham

Comment

Galaxy's (http://usegalaxy.org) pileup parser might do the trick:

Comment

Originally posted by nekrut View Post
          Galaxy's (http://usegalaxy.org) pileup parser might do the trick:
          http://bit.ly/cXtqD9
          Thanks. That should give me enough to get started with.
          Best wishes,
          Graham

Comment

I noticed that the referenced Galaxy code does not check for the '>' and '<' characters. Can anybody please provide some help how to process those? I.e., I don't really understand what "reference skip" means and would think that such a symbol means that the read does not cover the the respective position. Any help would be appreciated, thanks!

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
              Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
              by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
              03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
            • seqadmin
              Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
              by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
              Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
              03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
            Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
            0 responses
            0 likes
            Last Post seqadmin  
            Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
            0 responses