No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DESeq data transformation and creating a heatmap

Hi,

I have a question about varianceStabilizingTransformation and creating heatmaps.

The data is without biological replicates, therefore:
    Code:
    cds0_trial=estimateDispersions(cds0_trial, method="blind", sharingMode="fit-only")
    Since I just had technical replicates and no biological I guess it is not a good idea to perform any differential expression analysis. However, I would like to have an heatmap to display the similarities/dissimilarities in my miRNA dataset.

So:
    When creating the heatmap using:
    Code:
    >select=order(rowMeans(counts(cds0_trial)), decreasing=TRUE)[1:50]
    > hmcol=colorRampPalette(brewer.pal(9, "GnBu"))(100)
    >heatmap.2(counts(cds0_trial)[select,], col=hmcol, trace="none", margin=c(10,6))
    I result in the first graph (slide 1 in "heatmaps_MMu_samples.ppt" (in attachment))

When performing varianceStabilizedTransformation for the count data, the heatmap looks better (slide 2 in "heatmaps_MMu_samples.ppt")
    However, when plotting the SD of the transformed data neither log2 nor vsd seems to work for the dataset, since the SD is not constant throughout the range. Am I right? (please see graph in attachment: "vsd graph.ppt", left graph=log2, right graph=varStabTransf)

Can I conclude from this that:
    a)neither log2 nor variance stabilizing trasformation should be applied for this dataset and b) I can't present the data on the heatmap using varStabTansf?

Is there any better way to show the similarities/dissimilarities in the data? Or can I use some other type of data transformation to visualize the differences on my heatmap?

Thanks to everybody for answering
    Attached Files

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
    Essential Discoveries and Tools in Epitranscriptomics
    by seqadmin

The field of epigenetics has traditionally concentrated more on DNA and how changes like methylation and phosphorylation of histones impact gene expression and regulation. However, our increased understanding of RNA modifications and their importance in cellular processes has led to a rise in epitranscriptomics research. “Epitranscriptomics brings together the concepts of epigenetics and gene expression,” explained Adrien Leger, PhD, Principal Research Scientist...
    04-22-2024, 07:01 AM
  • seqadmin
    Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
    by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
    04-04-2024, 04:25 PM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
Started by seqadmin, Today, 08:47 AM
0 responses
0 likes
Last Post seqadmin  
Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
0 responses