I'm interested to know what operating systems people here use. This will help me and others decided what platforms to focus testing on.
Unconfigured Ad
Collapse
X
-
What Operating System Do You Use For Analysis?
82Linux 32-bit6.10%5Linux 64-bit59.76%49Unix variant0.00%0Windows XP3.66%3Windows 7 (32-bit)1.22%1Windows 7 (64-bit)2.44%2Mac OS X (Intel)19.51%16Mac OS X (PowerPC)3.66%3Cloud based1.22%1Other (Please mention)2.44%2Tags: None
-
I'd also be interested to know what distro the Linux users use. This may help as well. Perhaps maintainers or others could also add why they use this particular distro?
I run my analysis on an Ubuntu server, Jaunty. I just use the available server, so I can't say anything useful about why it runs Jaunty.
-
The workstation I use currently runs Slackware64.-13.0, but it will be upgraded to 13.1 sometime soon. I chose Slackware due to my own familiarity with it, plus support is readily available. I've had people in the Slackware community help me get things working, even if they didn't know much of the tools themselves.
Comment
-
Wow, I'm surprised there are so many Macs... good thing the new SpliceMap supports OS X. I'll make a post about that later.
Comment
-
I think most of the people that uses mac, they use them for the initial coding and prototyping, idea testing and then they through the real deal to a HPC cluster, typically linux based.Originally posted by john_mu View PostWow, I'm surprised there are so many Macs... good thing the new SpliceMap supports OS X. I'll make a post about that later.-drd
Comment
-
Or work on smaller organisms like viruses or bacteria where you don't need so much RAM.Originally posted by drio View PostI think most of the people that uses mac, they use them for the initial coding and prototyping, idea testing and then they through the real deal to a HPC cluster, typically linux based.
Comment
-
Latest Articles
Collapse
-
by SEQadmin2
Researchers using sequencing and genomics tools often have to make trade-offs. They can choose between speed or scale, short reads or long-range information, or targeted panels or a view of the whole transcriptome. New technologies that have been released this year are built to address those tough choices.
We asked six companies the same four questions to learn about their latest products. The new technologies bring a lot to the table, including rethinking sequencing...-
Channel: Articles
-
ad_right_rmr
Collapse
News
Collapse
| Topics | Statistics | Last Post | ||
|---|---|---|---|---|
|
Started by SEQadmin2, 09-29-2026, 09:51 AM
|
0 responses
42 views
0 reactions
|
Last Post
by SEQadmin2
09-29-2026, 09:51 AM
|
||
|
Started by SEQadmin2, 09-25-2026, 09:06 AM
|
0 responses
50 views
0 reactions
|
Last Post
by SEQadmin2
09-25-2026, 09:06 AM
|
||
|
Started by SEQadmin2, 09-23-2026, 11:05 AM
|
0 responses
41 views
0 reactions
|
Last Post
by SEQadmin2
09-23-2026, 11:05 AM
|
||
|
Started by SEQadmin2, 09-18-2026, 11:37 AM
|
1 response
51 views
0 reactions
|
Last Post
by pekgio
09-21-2026, 02:04 AM
|

Comment