Unconfigured Ad

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • panosk
    Junior Member
    • Dec 2014
    • 2

    #1

    PAR CLIP analysis

    Hello everyone. I am new here so please let me know if my post does not fit forum's appropriate posting policies.

    I am a bioinformatics msc student and I am trying to analyze a dataset with PAR CLIP reads (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/geo/quer...acc=GSM1020024). First thing is alignment.

    I have used FastX Artifacts Filter, Trimmomatic, FastX Trimmer and Cutadapt to prepare the data set for alignment.

    I have used TopHat 2 aligner without success (5% alignment) following the way mentioned here : http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/geo/quer...?acc=GSM994709

    Any clues why am I getting such a low percentage? Is it because of the T to C conversions by the presence of 4-thiouridine? Am I missing something?

    I am about to try with BWA (BWA-Backtrack) and GSNAP (If I solve an illegal instruction error I get) too.

    Thanks in advance.
  • Orr Shomroni
    Member
    • Oct 2011
    • 26

    #2
    I would suggest you to run FastQC for the pre-processing files in the different steps, as this will show you the sequencing quality of your data (just useful to see none of the steps completely messes up the reads). As for the alignment, personally I ran Bowtie2 with 1 mismatch on some PAR-CLIP data I have, and I get very low alignment percentages (a bit more than 5%, but less than 50%). I am considering to try STAR, since you are dealing here with sequences based on RNA, and STAR is considered to be one of the best alignment tools for RNA-seq.

    In addition, I don't know how much you've read about this technique, but I would REALLY recommend you starting with the first PAR-CLIP paper by Hafner et. al.
    "Though it may seem that all's been said and done, originality still lives on" - some unoriginal guy who had nothing better to write as his signature

    Comment

    • panosk
      Junior Member
      • Dec 2014
      • 2

      #3
      Thanks for your reply. I have used FastQC and I have also read (also) that paper. I have tried many approaches. STAR needs 30GB RAM, something that my availability of resources cannot support. I have tried with bowtie,tophat and bwa(backtrack) without a big success but time is pressing me so I carried on with what i have.

      Comment

      Latest Articles

      Collapse

      • SEQadmin2
        New Genomics Technologies Take Aim at Long-Standing Limits
        by SEQadmin2


        Researchers using sequencing and genomics tools often have to make trade-offs. They can choose between speed or scale, short reads or long-range information, or targeted panels or a view of the whole transcriptome. New technologies that have been released this year are built to address those tough choices.

        We asked six companies the same four questions to learn about their latest products. The new technologies bring a lot to the table, including rethinking sequencing
        ...
        Yesterday, 10:25 AM
      • SEQadmin2
        How Immunogenomics Decodes Immunity’s Genetic Blueprint
        by SEQadmin2




        The immune system’s power comes from its genetic diversity, allowing myriad threats to be neutralized through first recognizing foreign antigens. That diversity is also what makes the immune system so difficult to study. Recent advances in sequencing technology and computational biology, however, are giving researchers new tools to understand immune responses and immune-related diseases in greater detail.

        This convergence of genetics, immunology, and computation...
        09-01-2026, 05:41 AM

      ad_right_rmr

      Collapse

      News

      Collapse

      Topics Statistics Last Post
      Started by SEQadmin2, 09-25-2026, 09:06 AM
      0 responses
      30 views
      0 reactions
      Last Post SEQadmin2  
      Started by SEQadmin2, 09-23-2026, 11:05 AM
      0 responses
      25 views
      0 reactions
      Last Post SEQadmin2  
      Started by SEQadmin2, 09-18-2026, 11:37 AM
      1 response
      46 views
      0 reactions
      Last Post pekgio
      by pekgio
       
      Started by SEQadmin2, 09-16-2026, 10:23 AM
      1 response
      55 views
      0 reactions
      Last Post pekgio
      by pekgio
       
      Working...