Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PAR CLIP analysis

Hello everyone. I am new here so please let me know if my post does not fit forum's appropriate posting policies.

I am a bioinformatics msc student and I am trying to analyze a dataset with PAR CLIP reads (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/geo/quer...acc=GSM1020024). First thing is alignment.

I have used FastX Artifacts Filter, Trimmomatic, FastX Trimmer and Cutadapt to prepare the data set for alignment.

I have used TopHat 2 aligner without success (5% alignment) following the way mentioned here : http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/geo/quer...?acc=GSM994709

Any clues why am I getting such a low percentage? Is it because of the T to C conversions by the presence of 4-thiouridine? Am I missing something?

I am about to try with BWA (BWA-Backtrack) and GSNAP (If I solve an illegal instruction error I get) too.

Thanks in advance.

I would suggest you to run FastQC for the pre-processing files in the different steps, as this will show you the sequencing quality of your data (just useful to see none of the steps completely messes up the reads). As for the alignment, personally I ran Bowtie2 with 1 mismatch on some PAR-CLIP data I have, and I get very low alignment percentages (a bit more than 5%, but less than 50%). I am considering to try STAR, since you are dealing here with sequences based on RNA, and STAR is considered to be one of the best alignment tools for RNA-seq.

In addition, I don't know how much you've read about this technique, but I would REALLY recommend you starting with the first PAR-CLIP paper by Hafner et. al.
    "Though it may seem that all's been said and done, originality still lives on" - some unoriginal guy who had nothing better to write as his signature

Comment

Thanks for your reply. I have used FastQC and I have also read (also) that paper. I have tried many approaches. STAR needs 30GB RAM, something that my availability of resources cannot support. I have tried with bowtie,tophat and bwa(backtrack) without a big success but time is pressing me so I carried on with what i have.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
        Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
        by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
        03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
      • seqadmin
        Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
        by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
        Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
        03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
      Started by seqadmin, 03-27-2024, 06:37 PM
      0 responses
      0 likes
      Last Post seqadmin  
      Started by seqadmin, 03-27-2024, 06:07 PM
      0 responses