No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Annotating 3' UTR in the central nervous system

Hi,
    I am interested in identifying 5' UTR and 3' UTR of known mouse genes linked to olfaction. I have access to the CDS, poor annotations of the 5' and 3' from Biomart, CAGE data for the promoters and lots of RNASeq data (10 samples with 30-80M reads, paired-end but unstranded) from the litterature.

I have read (Widespread and extensive lengthening of 3' UTRs in the mammalian brain Miura 2013) that in the CNS there are longer 3' isoforms, often tied to local transport and translation in dendrites or axons.
    Do you know what type of tissue is used for 'official' annotations (mm10 for example) done with RNA Seq data? In IGV I see very different types of 3' UTR in the olfactory epithelium, but this could be a tissue specific thing.

What would you use for annotating 3'UTR?
    I am thinking of trying out IsoSCM (Jan2015, Shenker), but is very recent. I have also heard some good about TrinityRNASeq. Cufflinks is rather bad for this task, it missed isoforms I could see on IGV (and then confirmed with Northern Blots).

Thanks a lot for your help.
    Cyril

The official annotations are typically from a mix of different tissues, since they end up being drawn from databases of observed transcripts. In my mouse brain RNAseq samples, I almost always see longer 3'UTRs than exist in the Ensembl/UCSC/etc. annotations. I have primarily hippocampal samples, so I wouldn't expect much coverage of the receptors you're interested (so I can't offer much insight into them).

One common method if you absolutely need the UTRs is to simply run cufflinks on the samples followed by cuffmerge with the reference annotation. I've tried that in the past and it seems to work fine (not that it changed the results of the down stream statistics much, though perhaps it will for you).

Comment

Thanks for the answer.
      So far, IsoSCm has given me greatly improved 3' UTRs. There are quite a few options to set. For example, short introns (<100) seems to be ignored in 3' UTR.
      I also note that new software (early 2015) such as Kleat and other de novo transcriptome assembly tools offer the same features.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
        Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
        by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
        03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
      • seqadmin
        Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
        by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
        Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
        03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
      Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
      0 responses
      0 likes
      Last Post seqadmin  
      Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
      0 responses