Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How does BWA deal with multi mapping reads?

Bowtie manual clearly says the default mode is to report one alignment per read, and it will be random choice when tied.

BWA doesn't seem to be quite clear at this point in its manual. Can anyone explain to me how BWA reports alignments if a read can be mapped to multiple locations? If I want it to report only one, which parameter should I use for that?

I'm particularly asking for BWA aln because I'm mapping 50bp SE reads. But it would be even better if you could also explain for BWA mem if it's different.

Thanks a lot!
    Last edited by metheuse; 03-16-2015, 01:42 PM.

Discussion of next-gen sequencing related bioinformatics: resources, algorithms, open source efforts, etc

Comment

Thanks, but I read that post before posting my questions.

There are controversial replies in that post. One reply says BWA makes random choice when there is a tie, but the last reply says: "if there are two equal-scoring locations, bwa gives both a mapping score of 3 (equivalent to 50% probability), and so forth."

If the latter reply is true, it's still not clear to me if I can set some parameter to restrict BWA to report only one location (and how). Bowtie chooses one randomly but BWA's manual doesn't say anything about it.
      Last edited by metheuse; 03-17-2015, 09:48 AM.

Comment

For bwa-aln, apparently, the assignment is done after alignment in the sam-file generation phase:

samse bwa samse [-n maxOcc] <in.db.fasta> <in.sai> <in.fq> > <out.sam>

Generate alignments in the SAM format given single-end reads. Repetitive hits will be randomly chosen.
        I'm not sure about bwa-mem.

Comment

Originally posted by Brian Bushnell View Post
          For bwa-aln, apparently, the assignment is done after alignment in the sam-file generation phase:

I'm not sure about bwa-mem.
          Yes I read that and was wondering what "Repetitive hits will be randomly chosen." exactly means...
          If it means choosing a random alignment when multiple locations are found to be equally best, then it's indeed what I need.
          I think sampe is equivalent to samse, but the former is for bwa mem.
          Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by metheuse View Post
            Yes I read that and was wondering what "Repetitive hits will be randomly chosen." exactly means...
            If it means choosing a random alignment when multiple locations are found to be equally best, then it's indeed what I need.
            I think sampe is equivalent to samse, but the former is for bwa mem.
            Thanks!
            Sampe and samse have the same description, and yes, the description means reads with multiple equally-scoring alignments.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
              Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
              by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
              03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
            • seqadmin
              Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
              by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
              Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
              03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
            Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
            0 responses
            0 likes
            Last Post seqadmin  
            Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
            0 responses