We did a stranded RNA-seq library prep on a bacterial sample (Mycobacterium tuberculosis). When using this kit for human/mouse/fly, the correct strand is always "second" or "reverse" strand (different tools have different nomenclature). This time, I am getting 90% of the reads on the other strand. It doesn't make much sense to me that the reads would somehow be on the wrong strand. At worst, they should be 50/50. Do the bacterial annotations have different assumptions? Should I be concerned?
Unconfigured Ad
Collapse
X
-
Hi,
a lot of strand-specific RNA-Seq kits produce "reverse" reads. See http://seqanswers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=50459 and http://seqanswers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=50711.
I'd guess it is more a library-prep issue than an annotation issue; so I don't think you should be concerned.
-
I think you misunderstood my question. I am familiar with the kit and I've used it for other species many times. The reads are always "reverse". Now I did bacteria and they are not "reverse".Originally posted by Michael.Ante View PostHi,
a lot of strand-specific RNA-Seq kits produce "reverse" reads. See http://seqanswers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=50459 and http://seqanswers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=50711.
I'd guess it is more a library-prep issue than an annotation issue; so I don't think you should be concerned.
Comment
-
-
The kit is ScriptSeq Complete Gold Kit (http://www.illumina.com/products/scr...demiology.html). It even says on the website: "choose the FR=secondstrand option". That always works fine for me.Originally posted by pmiguel View PostWhat kit are you using?
Yes, if you use the same kit in the same way your strandedness should remain the same.
My first suspicion would be that the annotation for your Mycobacterium is wrong.
I am also concerned that the annotation is wrong, but I am using the references from Ensembl (http://bacteria.ensembl.org/mycobact..._2/Info/Index/). I assume their info would be consistent across all species. I never ran into any issues like this with non-bacterial references.
Comment
-
It would be odd to have entire genome annotation wrong from Ensembl (but strange things do happen). Are you using the GFF file Ensembl is providing?
Can you compare the annotation from NCBI: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/genome/?...culosis+H37Rv?
Comment
-
When you write "This time, I am getting 90% of the reads on the other strand." what do you mean by "getting". I presume you use some program or browser to derive this figure? What program or browser did you use? Was it the same one you used for previous projects?
--
Phillip
Comment
-
I used the Ensembl GFF. I also tried the NCBI GFF. Similar result with both.Originally posted by GenoMax View PostIt would be odd to have entire genome annotation wrong from Ensembl (but strange things do happen). Are you using the GFF file Ensembl is providing?
Can you compare the annotation from NCBI: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/genome/?...culosis+H37Rv?
I use Picard CollectRnaSeqMetrics to collect the stats. It also generates graphs for normalized coverage across transcript. Usually, the middle is much higher than the ends. With this RNA-seq, the ends are actually slightly higher.
It's really bizarre. I've never seen anything like this.
Comment
Latest Articles
Collapse
-
by SEQadmin2
Researchers using sequencing and genomics tools often have to make trade-offs. They can choose between speed or scale, short reads or long-range information, or targeted panels or a view of the whole transcriptome. New technologies that have been released this year are built to address those tough choices.
We asked six companies the same four questions to learn about their latest products. The new technologies bring a lot to the table, including rethinking sequencing...-
Channel: Articles
-
ad_right_rmr
Collapse
News
Collapse
| Topics | Statistics | Last Post | ||
|---|---|---|---|---|
|
Started by SEQadmin2, 09-29-2026, 09:51 AM
|
0 responses
42 views
0 reactions
|
Last Post
by SEQadmin2
09-29-2026, 09:51 AM
|
||
|
Started by SEQadmin2, 09-25-2026, 09:06 AM
|
0 responses
49 views
0 reactions
|
Last Post
by SEQadmin2
09-25-2026, 09:06 AM
|
||
|
Started by SEQadmin2, 09-23-2026, 11:05 AM
|
0 responses
39 views
0 reactions
|
Last Post
by SEQadmin2
09-23-2026, 11:05 AM
|
||
|
Started by SEQadmin2, 09-18-2026, 11:37 AM
|
1 response
51 views
0 reactions
|
Last Post
by pekgio
09-21-2026, 02:04 AM
|
Comment