No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with smartpca?

Hi everyone,

This is my first post so I apologize if its not great, any advice on posting etiquette is valued highly!

I am attempting to use smartpca from Eigensoft to perform a PCA with a subset of genotyped individuals and then project another individual onto the plot. I followed the instructions in the README file and made a list of population names and added the poplistname parameter to my par file:

genotypename: PI.merged.ped
    snpname: PI4.merged.map
    indivname: PI.merged.ped
    evecoutname: PI.merged.evec
    evaloutname: PI4.merged.eval
    numoutlieriter: 0
    poplistname: PI.poplist.txt

However, I keep getting this error message everytime I try to run the program:

"fatalx:
    XTX has zero trace (perhaps no data)
    Aborted (Core dumped)"

I tried using different formats in the par file but nothing fixed the issue.
    Does anyone have any advice regarding what I may be doing wrong?

Many thanks!

Hi mnievesc,

I'm not familiar with Eigensoft's smartpca so I can't help you with this issue specifically. The error is telling you that somehow, with the input data you're giving it, the empirical covariance matrix (X transposed X) has a zero trace, i.e. the sum of it's diagonal elements is 0. I might be wrong but my intuition is that this means that all of your input variables are constants...

If I'm wrong about this I could propose something else. If you're not afraid of using R to perform your PCA then you could use the package FactoMineR (available on CRAN: http://cran.r-project.org/web/packag...neR/index.html) - their PCA function supports the inclusion of "illustrative" variables and individuals that do not participate in the PC construction but that are projected onto the plots afterwards. You can read about this on this page on their website: http://factominer.free.fr/classical-...-analysis.html.

Alternatively if Eigensoft's smartpca returns the "raw' loadings (eigen vector) matrix W, then you can calculate the coordinates of new individuals in the PC space T by multiplying their original (centred, scaled - as with the input) coordinates X by the loadings: T=XW. Check out the Wikipedia page for PCA for the math: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Princip...onent_analysis.

Hope this helps,

-- Alex

Comment

This is great advice thank you very much. I do use R regularly so I wll give this idea a try!

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
        Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
        by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
        04-04-2024, 04:25 PM
      • seqadmin
        Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
        by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
        03-22-2024, 06:39 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
      Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
      0 responses
      0 likes
      Last Post seqadmin  
      Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
      0 responses