Unconfigured Ad

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • mnievesc
    Junior Member
    • Oct 2013
    • 3

    #1

    Help with smartpca?

    Hi everyone,

    This is my first post so I apologize if its not great, any advice on posting etiquette is valued highly!

    I am attempting to use smartpca from Eigensoft to perform a PCA with a subset of genotyped individuals and then project another individual onto the plot. I followed the instructions in the README file and made a list of population names and added the poplistname parameter to my par file:

    genotypename: PI.merged.ped
    snpname: PI4.merged.map
    indivname: PI.merged.ped
    evecoutname: PI.merged.evec
    evaloutname: PI4.merged.eval
    numoutlieriter: 0
    poplistname: PI.poplist.txt


    However, I keep getting this error message everytime I try to run the program:

    "fatalx:
    XTX has zero trace (perhaps no data)
    Aborted (Core dumped)"


    I tried using different formats in the par file but nothing fixed the issue.
    Does anyone have any advice regarding what I may be doing wrong?

    Many thanks!
  • Skiaphrene
    Member
    • Aug 2013
    • 18

    #2
    Hi mnievesc,



    I'm not familiar with Eigensoft's smartpca so I can't help you with this issue specifically. The error is telling you that somehow, with the input data you're giving it, the empirical covariance matrix (X transposed X) has a zero trace, i.e. the sum of it's diagonal elements is 0. I might be wrong but my intuition is that this means that all of your input variables are constants...



    If I'm wrong about this I could propose something else. If you're not afraid of using R to perform your PCA then you could use the package FactoMineR (available on CRAN: http://cran.r-project.org/web/packag...neR/index.html) - their PCA function supports the inclusion of "illustrative" variables and individuals that do not participate in the PC construction but that are projected onto the plots afterwards. You can read about this on this page on their website: http://factominer.free.fr/classical-...-analysis.html.



    Alternatively if Eigensoft's smartpca returns the "raw' loadings (eigen vector) matrix W, then you can calculate the coordinates of new individuals in the PC space T by multiplying their original (centred, scaled - as with the input) coordinates X by the loadings: T=XW. Check out the Wikipedia page for PCA for the math: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Princip...onent_analysis.



    Hope this helps,

    -- Alex

    Comment

    • mnievesc
      Junior Member
      • Oct 2013
      • 3

      #3
      This is great advice thank you very much. I do use R regularly so I wll give this idea a try!

      Comment

      Latest Articles

      Collapse

      • SEQadmin2
        New Genomics Technologies Take Aim at Long-Standing Limits
        by SEQadmin2


        Researchers using sequencing and genomics tools often have to make trade-offs. They can choose between speed or scale, short reads or long-range information, or targeted panels or a view of the whole transcriptome. New technologies that have been released this year are built to address those tough choices.

        We asked six companies the same four questions to learn about their latest products. The new technologies bring a lot to the table, including rethinking sequencing
        ...
        Today, 10:25 AM
      • SEQadmin2
        How Immunogenomics Decodes Immunity’s Genetic Blueprint
        by SEQadmin2




        The immune system’s power comes from its genetic diversity, allowing myriad threats to be neutralized through first recognizing foreign antigens. That diversity is also what makes the immune system so difficult to study. Recent advances in sequencing technology and computational biology, however, are giving researchers new tools to understand immune responses and immune-related diseases in greater detail.

        This convergence of genetics, immunology, and computation...
        09-01-2026, 05:41 AM

      ad_right_rmr

      Collapse

      News

      Collapse

      Topics Statistics Last Post
      Started by SEQadmin2, 09-25-2026, 09:06 AM
      0 responses
      28 views
      0 reactions
      Last Post SEQadmin2  
      Started by SEQadmin2, 09-23-2026, 11:05 AM
      0 responses
      24 views
      0 reactions
      Last Post SEQadmin2  
      Started by SEQadmin2, 09-18-2026, 11:37 AM
      1 response
      46 views
      0 reactions
      Last Post pekgio
      by pekgio
       
      Started by SEQadmin2, 09-16-2026, 10:23 AM
      1 response
      55 views
      0 reactions
      Last Post pekgio
      by pekgio
       
      Working...