Unconfigured Ad

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • imilne
    Member
    • Jan 2010
    • 68

    #16
    Yes, any reference data isn't disk cached yet so if you have a lot of it, you're going to need more memory. See http://bioinf.scri.ac.uk/tablet/help/memory.shtml if you need to allocate more (Tablet only asks for 1GB by default).

    Iain
    Our software: Tablet | Flapjack | Strudel | CurlyWhirly | TOPALi

    Comment

    • seq_GA
      Senior Member
      • Feb 2009
      • 124

      #17
      Originally posted by imilne View Post
      Yes, any reference data isn't disk cached yet so if you have a lot of it, you're going to need more memory. See http://bioinf.scri.ac.uk/tablet/help/memory.shtml if you need to allocate more (Tablet only asks for 1GB by default).

      Iain
      Hi Iain,

      Do I need to change the setting tablet.vmoptions? How much should I increase? My PC has around 3.49G of RAM. Please let me know as I am not sure. Thanks.

      Comment

      • imilne
        Member
        • Jan 2010
        • 68

        #18
        Originally posted by seq_GA View Post
        Do I need to change the setting tablet.vmoptions? How much should I increase? My PC has around 3.49G of RAM.
        Yep, you need to edit that file (when Tablet isn't running) and change the value to however much memory you want, but be aware that 32bit Windows probably won't be able to give you more than about 1500MB anyway. Ultimately it might be easier to chop your reference data into smaller pieces, say 1 or 2 chromosomes per file.

        Iain
        Our software: Tablet | Flapjack | Strudel | CurlyWhirly | TOPALi

        Comment

        • seq_GA
          Senior Member
          • Feb 2009
          • 124

          #19
          Ok. Iain, just for testing I just loaded chr10.fa and tablet shows 0 reads from the bam file. I am sure the bam file contains reads (pair end) from chr10.fa. The naming convention is also consistent like chr10 in bam as well as my reference genome starting >chr10. Why none of the reads are displayed. I assumed that even though the bam contains reads from all the chromosomes, I will get to see only reads from chr10. Or do I have to grep for only chr10 into a separate bam file and then upload? Please suggest me on how to proceed. Thanks.

          Comment

          • imilne
            Member
            • Jan 2010
            • 68

            #20
            Originally posted by seq_GA View Post
            Ok. Iain, just for testing I just loaded chr10.fa and tablet shows 0 reads from the bam file. I am sure the bam file contains reads (pair end) from chr10.fa. The naming convention is also consistent like chr10 in bam as well as my reference genome starting >chr10. Why none of the reads are displayed. I assumed that even though the bam contains reads from all the chromosomes, I will get to see only reads from chr10. Or do I have to grep for only chr10 into a separate bam file and then upload? Please suggest me on how to proceed. Thanks.
            (This is something that's been improved in the latest development Tablet)

            I'm assuming you're seeing 0 because you haven't actually looked at the contig yet? We're not aware of a method of querying a BAM file that will tell us how many reads are in a contig, without actually having to load a block of data. So until you start looking at it, that number will be 0. Once you load a region, and there's reads in that region (no guarantee there either), then the number will change.

            Iain
            Our software: Tablet | Flapjack | Strudel | CurlyWhirly | TOPALi

            Comment

            Latest Articles

            Collapse

            • SEQadmin2
              New Genomics Technologies Take Aim at Long-Standing Limits
              by SEQadmin2


              Researchers using sequencing and genomics tools often have to make trade-offs. They can choose between speed or scale, short reads or long-range information, or targeted panels or a view of the whole transcriptome. New technologies that have been released this year are built to address those tough choices.

              We asked six companies the same four questions to learn about their latest products. The new technologies bring a lot to the table, including rethinking sequencing
              ...
              Yesterday, 10:25 AM
            • SEQadmin2
              How Immunogenomics Decodes Immunity’s Genetic Blueprint
              by SEQadmin2




              The immune system’s power comes from its genetic diversity, allowing myriad threats to be neutralized through first recognizing foreign antigens. That diversity is also what makes the immune system so difficult to study. Recent advances in sequencing technology and computational biology, however, are giving researchers new tools to understand immune responses and immune-related diseases in greater detail.

              This convergence of genetics, immunology, and computation...
              09-01-2026, 05:41 AM

            ad_right_rmr

            Collapse

            News

            Collapse

            Topics Statistics Last Post
            Started by SEQadmin2, 09-25-2026, 09:06 AM
            0 responses
            28 views
            0 reactions
            Last Post SEQadmin2  
            Started by SEQadmin2, 09-23-2026, 11:05 AM
            0 responses
            24 views
            0 reactions
            Last Post SEQadmin2  
            Started by SEQadmin2, 09-18-2026, 11:37 AM
            1 response
            46 views
            0 reactions
            Last Post pekgio
            by pekgio
             
            Started by SEQadmin2, 09-16-2026, 10:23 AM
            1 response
            55 views
            0 reactions
            Last Post pekgio
            by pekgio
             
            Working...