No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New to SNP analysis

Hi,

I'm quite new to SNP analysis and I there's something I think should be simple to do but I cannot find any existing programs to help me. I want to find all the SNPs that are candidates for differences between two bacterial strains. I've tried programs like Harvest Suite, which is nice for viewing the SNPs but it can't output what I need: i.e. a list of SNPs that are fixed and different between the groups (akin to private alleles in a classical mapping). I could view them all manually, but that seems silly when it should be a simple thing to automatically output.

I'm hoping I don't have to write a script to parse the VCF files.. I hate those files..

Thanks for any help,

Susan

GATK (Select Variants) or BedTools (subtract) can be used to filter multiple VCF files for common or unique SNPs.

Comment

vcftools/bcftools are additional options to manipulate VCF files.

Comment

SNP interactions

Hi,

ok, thanks yes I saw those but they didn't quite do what I wanted, So I wrote my own python script, but then I was told from the person who gave me the that they have continuous variable data for samples, not categories as I thought, hence I now need to actually correlate presence / absence of SNPs against multiple phenotype measurements.

But again, I have come up blank on existing programs.. is there anything that can do this? I guess that when a SNP has multiple states then a correlation has to be done for each separately so its not just as simple as one correlation per line of the .vcf.

Also what about interactions between snps? I have 127,000 in my dataset.. that's a lot of interactions to test!

Thanks for any advice,

S.

Comment

I have just found something called GCTA that I think will do what I need.

Comment

When you generate the mpileup file, try use varscan2, it is very handy.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
              Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
              by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
              03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
            • seqadmin
              Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
              by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
              Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
              03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
            Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
            0 responses
            0 likes
            Last Post seqadmin  
            Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
            0 responses