Unconfigured Ad

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • shmibble
    Member
    • May 2015
    • 23

    #1

    VCF file comparison

    Hi,
    I am trying to compare two VCF files (one created using bcftools and one created using freebayes. If you have an opinion on which is better that would be nice too) using vcf-compare. I sorted them (though i'm not sure if this was necessary) and compressed using bgzip. When I use vcf-compare i get the following error:

    The version "4.2" not supported, assuming VCFv4.1
    Warning: Read 0 lines from a.vcf.gz, the tabix index may be broken.
    Warning: Read 0 lines from b.vcf.gz, the tabix index may be broken.

    Any idea on how to solve this? I tried finding a way to get v4.1 VCF files but couldn't.

    Thanks for the help!
  • GenoMax
    Senior Member
    • Feb 2008
    • 7142

    #2
    Have you indexed them with tabix (as the error is indicating above)?

    Comment

    • Len Trigg
      Registered Vendor
      • Jun 2011
      • 30

      #3
      You should absolutely be using rtg vcfeval to perform the comparison, as it correctly handles the differences in variant representation that different callers produce. Other comparison tools do not handle these differences. vcfeval is part of RTG Tools (free for anyone) and RTG Core (free for non-commercial use, and includes sophisticated variant calling you may also want to use).
      Len Trigg, Ph.D.
      Real Time Genomics
      www.realtimegenomics.com

      Comment

      • shmibble
        Member
        • May 2015
        • 23

        #4
        Geno, I did index them with Tabix although now that I think of it I didn't direct the output anywhere... Silly me. I'm guessing that should fix it although I cant check right now...
        Len, thanks for the tip. I'll definitely try it out.

        Thanks!

        Comment

        • shmibble
          Member
          • May 2015
          • 23

          #5
          Hi again. So I did index them correctly (I think). A new tbi file (a.vcf.gz.tbi) was created for each VCF. Still not sure why it's not working...

          Comment

          Latest Articles

          Collapse

          • SEQadmin2
            New Genomics Technologies Take Aim at Long-Standing Limits
            by SEQadmin2


            Researchers using sequencing and genomics tools often have to make trade-offs. They can choose between speed or scale, short reads or long-range information, or targeted panels or a view of the whole transcriptome. New technologies that have been released this year are built to address those tough choices.

            We asked six companies the same four questions to learn about their latest products. The new technologies bring a lot to the table, including rethinking sequencing
            ...
            Yesterday, 10:25 AM
          • SEQadmin2
            How Immunogenomics Decodes Immunity’s Genetic Blueprint
            by SEQadmin2




            The immune system’s power comes from its genetic diversity, allowing myriad threats to be neutralized through first recognizing foreign antigens. That diversity is also what makes the immune system so difficult to study. Recent advances in sequencing technology and computational biology, however, are giving researchers new tools to understand immune responses and immune-related diseases in greater detail.

            This convergence of genetics, immunology, and computation...
            09-01-2026, 05:41 AM

          ad_right_rmr

          Collapse

          News

          Collapse

          Topics Statistics Last Post
          Started by SEQadmin2, Today, 09:51 AM
          0 responses
          8 views
          0 reactions
          Last Post SEQadmin2  
          Started by SEQadmin2, 09-25-2026, 09:06 AM
          0 responses
          31 views
          0 reactions
          Last Post SEQadmin2  
          Started by SEQadmin2, 09-23-2026, 11:05 AM
          0 responses
          27 views
          0 reactions
          Last Post SEQadmin2  
          Started by SEQadmin2, 09-18-2026, 11:37 AM
          1 response
          47 views
          0 reactions
          Last Post pekgio
          by pekgio
           
          Working...