Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Calculating small RNA expressions from Solexa Sequencing with Cufflinks

I am in need of your collective bioinformatic brains.

Here is my situation:
    I have data sets of small RNAs from Solexa sequencing. I'm wanting to calculate the expressions of these small RNAs, but having some issues. To calculate expressions I used SAM output from Bowtie and used Cufflinks to calculate the expressions. The expressions calculated people in my lab are having concerns about. The small RNAs should be <35bps, but the calculations from Cufflinks involve regions that are much larger than 35bps. People in my lab wish to calculate expression for only the regions <35bps and I can only think of doing this by doing counts. Is Cufflinks an inappropriate expression calculation tool for small RNAs (miRNAs, siRNAs, etc.)? Or is there another program I could used to achieve this? I think Cufflinks is calculating the expressions correctly, but I thought I would reach out to all of you and ask.

Thanks in advance.

-Brandon

first,i do not understand what your mean to the ground. maybe you mean that you only want to calculate the read whose length > 35 bp ? if so ,you can write a script to filter your dataset before calculation.

Comment

I'll try to clear that up. I guess I said it in a confusing way.

We calculated the expressions in Cufflinks for the small RNAs that were mapped, but the region size for the expression calculations range from ~24 to ~7,000 bps. I think the following is occuring when Cufflinks calculates the expressions:

(small RNAs aligned to genome)
      _______ _______
      ___ _______ ________
      ________ _______

[------------------------] <--- Size of region grouped by Cufflinks and expression value calculated for.

What the members of my lab want is the following:

_______ _______
      ___ _______ ________
      ________ _______

[-------] [-------]
      [--] [------] [--------]
      [-------] [-------] <----Size of regions calculated for expression.

Basically, they want a way to measure the expression of each read so they remain the size of small RNAs and are not lengthened, which seems to happen in Cufflinks, but Cufflinks is built for genes as opposed to small RNA analysis. The only way I can currently think of how to do expression calculations of each read would be to simply perform unique read counts.

Comment

ok,i understand what you mean exactly . Cufflinks measures transcript abundances in Fragments Per Kilobase of exon per Million fragments mapped (FPKM). it is fit for mRNA-seq .et , but, not smallRNA. Because of the length of smallRNA, one read one molecule. when we use FPKM , the same expression may have different FRKM, because the different length of different smallRNA. So, the exact regions you want may be useless. In my opinion:

two solutions :
        1.use rpm (reads per million reads)
        (OR)2.use software align the reads to genome , define each region yourself, count the reads in each region.

""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""
        _______ _______
        ___ _______ ________
        ________ _______

[-------] [-------]
        [--] [------] [--------]
        """""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""

Comment

Minghui,

Thanks for getting back with me on this.

I think we are going to do counts. Do you know if there is a preferred way to calculate expressions for small RNAs? Counts versus RPM? And do you know a software that calculates RPM?

I'm using Bowtie as the aligner.

Thanks again,
          Brandon

Comment

hi,Brandon!

I am sorry ,i do not know any software that calculates RPM. Because I calculated RPM myself. There is no difference between counts and RPM,when you calculate in a single library. counts/million=RPM. RPM, is a normalization between two or many libraries. I think that you could try to align all reads to genome ,and calculate the numbers of reads in each region.

_______ _______
            ___ _______ ________
            ________ _______

[-------] [-------]
            [--] [------] [--------]

For example: ATGCATGCATGC ATGGATGCATGC TGCACGATCGAT (3 reads)

alignment :----------------------------------1----------2--3----------4
            -----------(genome sequence) GGGGGGTAGCGATGCATGCATGCACGATCGAT
            -----------(read)--------------------------- ATGCATGCATGC
            -----------(read)--------------------------- ATGGATGCATGC
            -----------(read)---------------------------------------TGCACGATCGAT

Calculation:"1-3" region : expression level :2
            "2-4" region : expression level :1

Advantage: when couts unique sequences ,these thress have the same expression level 1; but that may be wrong,because RNA edit or sequencing errors.
            Last edited by minghui; 06-29-2010, 06:35 PM.

Comment

Minghui,

Thanks for explaining that to me it makes sense. From the papers I've been reading lately they have all been using counts as well so I suppose that is how we will go about it too.

Thanks again.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
              • seqadmin
                Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
                by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
                Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
                03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
              Started by seqadmin, 03-27-2024, 06:37 PM
              0 responses
              0 likes
              Last Post seqadmin  
              Started by seqadmin, 03-27-2024, 06:07 PM
              0 responses