Unconfigured Ad

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Ash
    Member
    • Jun 2010
    • 15

    #1

    Help with installing samtools on a Mac

    Hi,

    I'm fairly new to Unix (and bioinformatics generally!). I'm trying to open .bam files, and thought samtools might be the way forward. However, I'm struggling to get it working.

    I downloaded samtools-0-1.1.7a.tar.bz2, and extracted it. In the terminal I then typed

    $ make samtools

    which appeared to compile it and put something called samtools in the folder which the terminal reckons is an application. However, when I try to open a .bam file with:

    $ samtools view all-hg18.bam

    I get

    -bash: samtools: command not found

    What am I doing wrong? All help gratefully received!

    A
  • maubp
    Peter (Biopython etc)
    • Jul 2009
    • 1544

    #2
    Try ./samtools rather than just samtools (meaning look in the current directory).

    Comment

    • rahul.m.dhodapkar
      Member
      • Jun 2010
      • 28

      #3
      and what maubp said is applicable to most other tools that you're going to need to install in the future. usually, using "./command" will work where "command" alone fails.

      Comment

      • Ash
        Member
        • Jun 2010
        • 15

        #4
        Success! Thanks for the tip folks.

        A

        Comment

        • libiyagirl
          Member
          • Jan 2011
          • 27

          #5
          hello when I extracted samtools, I typed cd samtools-0.1.12a, then it went to the directory. Then I typed $ make samtools, it didn't work. How to install samtools anyway?

          Thank you!

          Comment

          • nilshomer
            Nils Homer
            • Nov 2008
            • 1283

            #6
            More information is required. What did it say when you typed "make samtools"? How do you know it didn't work. In the "samtool-0.1.12a" did you try running "./samtools"?

            Comment

            • libiyagirl
              Member
              • Jan 2011
              • 27

              #7
              it said make: command not found. I also typed ./samtools it said no such directory!

              Comment

              • nilshomer
                Nils Homer
                • Nov 2008
                • 1283

                #8
                Originally posted by libiyagirl View Post
                it said make: command not found. I also typed ./samtools it said no such directory!
                Make sure you have the developer tools and Xcode installed on your mac. They can be found on the Mac install disc.

                Comment

                Latest Articles

                Collapse

                • SEQadmin2
                  New Genomics Technologies Take Aim at Long-Standing Limits
                  by SEQadmin2


                  Researchers using sequencing and genomics tools often have to make trade-offs. They can choose between speed or scale, short reads or long-range information, or targeted panels or a view of the whole transcriptome. New technologies that have been released this year are built to address those tough choices.

                  We asked six companies the same four questions to learn about their latest products. The new technologies bring a lot to the table, including rethinking sequencing
                  ...
                  Today, 10:25 AM
                • SEQadmin2
                  How Immunogenomics Decodes Immunity’s Genetic Blueprint
                  by SEQadmin2




                  The immune system’s power comes from its genetic diversity, allowing myriad threats to be neutralized through first recognizing foreign antigens. That diversity is also what makes the immune system so difficult to study. Recent advances in sequencing technology and computational biology, however, are giving researchers new tools to understand immune responses and immune-related diseases in greater detail.

                  This convergence of genetics, immunology, and computation...
                  09-01-2026, 05:41 AM

                ad_right_rmr

                Collapse

                News

                Collapse

                Topics Statistics Last Post
                Started by SEQadmin2, 09-25-2026, 09:06 AM
                0 responses
                27 views
                0 reactions
                Last Post SEQadmin2  
                Started by SEQadmin2, 09-23-2026, 11:05 AM
                0 responses
                24 views
                0 reactions
                Last Post SEQadmin2  
                Started by SEQadmin2, 09-18-2026, 11:37 AM
                1 response
                45 views
                0 reactions
                Last Post pekgio
                by pekgio
                 
                Started by SEQadmin2, 09-16-2026, 10:23 AM
                1 response
                55 views
                0 reactions
                Last Post pekgio
                by pekgio
                 
                Working...