• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• vcf from bam file

Hi,

I am trying to create a vcf from a bam file using samtools and bcftools
    like that:

Code:
    samtools mpileup -ugf ~/genomes/Mus_musculus/GRCm38.p2/mm_ref_GRCm38.p2.fa bamfile | bcftools call -vmO z -o file.vcf
    I would like to have an uncompressed vcf with only the variants in it.

The command runs without errors. When I try to open the vcf file in an editor (e.g. TextWrangler) it opens without a problem
    Code:
    ##fileformat=VCFv4.2
    ##FILTER=<ID=PASS,Description="All filters passed">
    ##samtoolsVersion=1.2+htslib-1.2.1
    ##samtoolsCommand=samtools mpileup -ugf /home/yeroslaviz/genomes/Mus_musculus/Ensembl/NCBIM37/Sequence/WholeGenomeFasta/genome.fa ../bamFiles_trimmedPlusgtf/Q_trimmedPlusgtf.bam ../bamFiles_trimmedPlusgtf/R_trimmedPlusgtf.bam ../bamFiles_trimmedPlusgtf/S_trimmedPlusgtf.bam ../bamFiles_trimmedPlusgtf/T_trimmedPlusgtf.bam
    ##reference=file:///home/yeroslaviz/genomes/Mus_musculus/Ensembl/NCBIM37/Sequence/WholeGenomeFasta/genome.fa
    ##contig=<ID=1,length=197195432>
    ##contig=<ID=10,length=129993255>
    ##contig=<ID=11,length=121843856>
    ##contig=<ID=12,length=121257530>
    ##contig=<ID=13,length=120284312>
    ##contig=<ID=14,length=125194864>
    ##contig=<ID=15,length=103494974>
    ##contig=<ID=16,length=98319150>
    ##contig=<ID=17,length=95272651>
    ##contig=<ID=18,length=90772031>
    ##contig=<ID=19,length=61342430>
    ##INFO=<ID=DP4,Number=4,Type=Integer,Description="Number of high-quality ref-forward , ref-reverse, alt-forward and alt-reverse bases">
    ##INFO=<ID=MQ,Number=1,Type=Integer,Description="Average mapping quality">
    ##bcftools_callVersion=1.2+htslib-1.2.1
    ##bcftools_callCommand=call -vmO z -o FR.Ileum.vcf
    #CHROM	POS	ID	REF	ALT	QUAL	FILTER	INFO	FORMAT	../bamFiles_trimmedPlusgtf/Q_trimmedPlusgtf.bam	../bamFiles_trimmedPlusgtf/R_trimmedPlusgtf.bam	../bamFiles_trimmedPlusgtf/S_trimmedPlusgtf.bam	../bamFiles_trimmedPlusgtf/T_trimmedPlusgtf.bam
    1	3044386	.	G	A	59	.	DP=2;VDB=0.1;SGB=-0.314421;MQ0F=0;AC=4;AN=4;DP4=0,0,2,0;MQ=50	GT:PL	./.:0,0,0	./.:0,0,0	1/1:41,3,0	1/1:41,3,0
    1	3044390	.	T	A	58	.	DP=2;VDB=0.1;SGB=-0.314421;MQ0F=0;AC=4;AN=4;DP4=0,0,2,0;MQ=50	GT:PL	./.:0,0,0	./.:0,0,0	1/1:40,3,0	1/1:41,3,0
    but when I try to open it in the terminal I get this strange ascii characters:
    Code:
    >head C.vcf 
    ??ɮ?"?=?rɑ?W f^?X?+밖[email protected]#Z?c$x???$Hb,????f??
    ????D?Ǘ?????)?w?[??n??????㫯?ŷ???o????|??Z>?}y{??\|??????k?d????????>|???z???jy???ɫ?O/^J????ߖ??O????ry??|?Z/??'????????s?????>???ӓ???1?]~Z??c?h????I1?؇????g????ry?y??;?()??u???w4??*iAo?!Z0 ?????	??C5ww?j?}?;?TN9?s?Nw8+?㰃??7?0B߾??1?ɝ?As???i3??5[743?3Vn??L??
    ??8?????!O??Hk??<?f?3????|9?wh?X[W????50ᶷ??f????r??<~{???]~?]?????xqy??\?q???????v????߼_-o?/?N<yy???k???????ɫoWg?d?????????͇???x?a?^??Yk|[??/n/???»??l???o??<<???z?yy??엋????v5????o>?o???????ׯ7?????????r??/?o=????b???O????????1?]???p?q?u?e?	?=??0??ʼn|v?
          ??????j?L$?Bp??????tu?^????'?
    q?}5=]-?9??X/?|??%y?\?W???I???M?޾9?????ӿ?X_/?m?뿦?{K?}s??Єzt;@o?{?????\|?J?????????????-V˻A{?????}5~??E?~?w?G?~??|????
                                                                                                                          ???q|?D?a?=vęz?:K??x????"³????o_N?z?)?yω??"?˛/?ˏ???KD?8??2??????ŗ?????ǟϷp?iĉ?|?y|?-?1?/???.?i?f7?O?.>\ ??UB??bq??r????????&B??ſ?~?J???
      g:K`?=s=??b?????<́-????D?r?PBIs9??????K\?(?6?_C;?7k??f??????mҬ??U??_?'???????z??????????v???t??\?Kt??xџ???y9f?S????r|z???????G?߸/I??????????OoƳ???????o_??y?n???????G???_?6?e???
    ?ftW!??$S?X;????p???ߞ?9?O?????4?ZxJ??=?Å?p㟱	<????3?WEv?O?zlt>??_F?	??T'?%p?!???PSÃN%???? ?i9???V?I0????6?	Xa~䅪?(F?#Q????-??4??????}??DJg:Pg?M??F?c؝?f?Y??#?N?_?(?
                                               ??qh???L??3????Ì??H?7??x??"~d?}???s??c1????i1A???,??3܃??H?s??Fj???<?u?2o?YT?#8=???????k?7T?????
                 2???>s?hs??j?;???)?[k??L??؄??#4d1'?4??~???icIO???!8??Ƶ???.x	
                                                                                    ??P??R?4>?!???ө????Z?Y
                                                                                                          ?;??k/?Dp?8x?:??		V?5??Q:pW????A)a?
                    ??c?Ӂ
    [email protected]ɸ??M\bd?4L$?   "c9ܖ?
    But when I am using the bcftools command I can see the file

Code:
    bcftools view C.vcf | head
    ##fileformat=VCFv4.2
    ##FILTER=<ID=PASS,Description="All filters passed">
    ##samtoolsVersion=1.2+htslib-1.2.1
    ##samtoolsCommand=samtools mpileup -ugf /home/yeroslaviz/genomes/Mus_musculus/Ensembl/NCBIM37/Sequence/WholeGenomeFasta/genome.fa ../bamFiles_trimmedPlusgtf/C_trimmedPlusgtf.bam
    ##reference=file:///home/yeroslaviz/genomes/Mus_musculus/Ensembl/NCBIM37/Sequence/WholeGenomeFasta/genome.fa
    ##contig=<ID=1,length=197195432>
    ##contig=<ID=10,length=129993255>
    ##contig=<ID=11,length=121843856>

I have found this as I was trying to upload my vcf files into IGV anf got the following error

Code:
    Error loading /home/VariantCalling/C.vcf: Unable to parse header with error: Your input file has a malformed header: We never saw the required CHROM header line (starting with one #) for the input VCF file, for input source: /home/VariantCalling/C.vcf
    As you can see the CROM line is there, but somehow IGV donesn't recognize the file.

Am I doing something wrong in the conversion?
    What is the right way to convert a bam file to vcf.

thanks,

Assa
    Last edited by frymor; 06-25-2015, 06:56 AM.

bcftools call -vmO z is for a compressed vcf. -O v for uncompressed.
    Providing nextRAD genotyping and PacBio sequencing services. http://snpsaurus.com

Comment

Originally posted by SNPsaurus View Post
      bcftools call -vmO z is for a compressed vcf. -O v for uncompressed.
      thanks,
      I don't know why I missed that. But why than can I open it in the text editor with no problems?

Comment

Originally posted by frymor View Post
        thanks,
        I don't know why I missed that. But why than can I open it in the text editor with no problems?
        Text Wrangler is programmer's editor. Looks like it can open compressed files.

Comment

Yeah, it was helpful that you included the tidbit that TextWrangler could open it but not 'head'. I use TextWrangler so know that it transparently opens .gz files. Maybe too transparently!
          Providing nextRAD genotyping and PacBio sequencing services. http://snpsaurus.com

Comment

Working...
          X