No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• samtools mpileup possible bug

Hello,

I noticed that last sample (last 3 columns) in mpileup format behave strangely in positions with low base quality (< 13). It looks like:

where it should be:

0 * *

Does anyone have similar issue? Is this a bug?

It confuses my downstream scripts, because there are fewer columns in those positions than expected.

I am using Version: 1.2 (using htslib 1.2.1)

It's a longstanding "feature" of samtools mpileup when coverage is 0 because of excluded bases rather than no mapped reads. I would imagine by now there are many scripts that check for this case and they might break if the mpileup were changed. I would simply modify your script to handle this case.

Comment

Originally posted by dgscofield View Post
      It's a longstanding "feature" of samtools mpileup when coverage is 0 because of excluded bases rather than no mapped reads. I would imagine by now there are many scripts that check for this case and they might break if the mpileup were changed. I would simply modify your script to handle this case.
      I see, would you happen to know if this "feature" occurs only in last individual, or in your experience - it can occur anywhere? Many thanks for your reply!

Comment

i believe it can occur anywhere, and i think you may find that the columns may be empty, but their positions are still delimited with tabs. so that instead of

... <tab> 0 <tab> * <tab> * <tab> ...

it is

.... <tab> 0 <tab> <tab> <tab> ...

There is an additional wrinkle if you use the -s flag to include a read mapping quality column in the mpileup. In the case of "0 * *" entries, they are always three columns rather than the expected 4, while the "0 blank blank" entries are the expected four columns "0 blank blank blank".

Comment

The additional -s wrinkle has been fixed since samtools 1.0.

Thanks for the reminder to revisit the main problem reported here.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
            Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
            by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
            04-04-2024, 04:25 PM
          • seqadmin
            Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
            by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
            03-22-2024, 06:39 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
          Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
          0 responses
          0 likes
          Last Post seqadmin  
          Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
          0 responses