No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• multisample variant calling and consensus sequences

Hi,

I have used BWA to map reads from ~45 individuals of my favorite species to a reference (haploid) mitochondrial DNA sequence. My goal is to get a consensus sequence for each individual, which I then want to use in a skyline plot of effective population size in BEAST.

In the past I have used samtools/bcftools/vcfutils.pl to create a consensus sequence. Using these commands it seems like you make a pileup, call variant sites, and then convert to fastq.

A couple of my individuals have low depth, and I have been considering how to handle them (without throwing them out). I thought perhaps I could follow the general steps above and do a multisample variant call, filter the variants, and then make the fastq for each individual.

I have tried several different things and none have worked. Here is one example:

samtools-1.2 mpileup -ugf Ref.fasta Individual1.bam Individual2.bam Individual3.bam Individual4.bam Individual5.bam | bcftools-1.2 call -vmO z –S samples.txt -o Variants.vcf.gz

bcftools-1.2 filter -e 'QUAL<30 | MIN(DP)<10' Variants.vcf.gz >Variants_Filter.vcf

vcfutils-1.2.pl subsam Variants_Filter.vcf Individual1.bam > Individual1.vcf

vcfutils-1.2.pl vcf2fq -d 2 Individual1.vcf > Individual1.fastq

This gives:
    Code:
    @Individual1
    nnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnAnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnMnnnn…..
    where the A is call of the alternate allele in this individual and the M is actually a well-supported call of the reference sequence at this site (not sure why it is given as an ambiguity). I guess I have lost the information about the non-variant sites along the way.

Any suggestions for a better way to go about handling my low depth individuals?

Beyond trying the multisample variant calling, I also tried to get positions in the consensus sequence with depth less than some minimum to be output as N, but the best I can do is get them output in lower case from vcfutils (presumably I would have to use regex to change them to N)

I have thought about simply using the SNPs in BEAST (as opposed to the consensus sequence) but for effective population sizes, it seems like the relative numbers of variable and invariable sites might have some information?
    Last edited by Brian Bushnell; 08-07-2015, 08:43 PM. Reason: formatting

What kind of depth do you have? Mapping the reads to mito with very high sensitivity, keeping those that map, and assembling them with a normal assembler should work.

Comment

Most are > 10x, but I have two at 5x and two at 2x. These lower depth individuals are from ancient DNA so I merged the reads and then mapped. I can do tests about the impact of missing data, but I want to make sure the positions that are called are as accurate as possible.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
        Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
        by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
        04-04-2024, 04:25 PM
      • seqadmin
        Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
        by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
        03-22-2024, 06:39 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
      Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
      0 responses
      0 likes
      Last Post seqadmin  
      Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
      0 responses