• Bedtools 2.24.0 errors while decompressing .tar

When I decompress bedtools 2.24.0:

Code:
    tar -zxvf ./bedtools-2.24.0.tar.gz
    I get several errors:

Code:
    tar: bedtools2/src/utils/aux: Cannot mkdir: Protocol error
    tar: bedtools2/src/utils/aux/BedtoolsDriver.cpp: Cannot open: No such file or directory
    tar: bedtools2/src/utils/aux/BedtoolsDriver.h: Cannot open: No such file or directory
    tar: bedtools2/src/utils/aux/Makefile: Cannot open: No such file or directory
    tar: Exiting with failure status due to previous errors
    Make therefore doesn't finish when it looks for these files in /src/utils/aux. I have tried re-downloading using wget and directly from the website (right-click-->save-as), and decompressing with 7zip in Windows instead of tar in Ubuntu. The 7zip gui gave no errors but make gave the same errors that it couldn't find files in /src/utils/aux. I have no problems with the previous version of bedtools 2.23.0 which I can decompress, make, and run bedtools with no errors.

Must be something on your end. Did not have any problems with download/compilation (2.24.0) just now.

Comment

Windows refuses to create files or directories with names like aux, as it reserves such filenames to refer to IIRC your serial port.

So alas you're straight out of luck with 2.24.0 on Windows. You'd need to download the tarball on another machine, rename src/utils/aux and fix up the makefiles, and transfer the fixed up tree back to your Windows machine.

I've reported this as a bedtools bug, and I imagine Aaron will rename this directory for 2.25. In the meantime, it might be easiest just to wait with 2.23.0...

Comment

Originally posted by jmarshall View Post
        Windows refuses to create files or directories with names like aux, as it reserves such filenames to refer to IIRC your serial port.
        Cool I didn't know about that. I'm actually using bedtools in an Ubuntu VM under Windows but was working in a shared folder so it was trying to to untar and create the aux folders on a Windows drive. Once I switched to a folder within the VM it worked fine. Thanks for the help.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
          Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
          by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
          03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
        • seqadmin
          Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
          by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
          Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
          03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
        Started by seqadmin, 03-27-2024, 06:37 PM
        0 responses
        0 likes
        Last Post seqadmin  
        Started by seqadmin, 03-27-2024, 06:07 PM
        0 responses