Unconfigured Ad

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • jjw14
    Member
    • Apr 2010
    • 39

    #1

    UCSC Table Browser: Please tell me there is an easier way...

    With the advice of several members of the SEQanswers forum and a lot of reading, I was able to go from Illumina ChIP-seq reads to viewing alignments in the UCSC Genome Browser - Thanks! Also, a huge thanks to the UCSC team for a great resource.

    I thought the next step would be easy (I can hear the chuckling now): I want to analyze these data with the UCSC Table Browser to determine the number of reads that align to different features (e.g. CpG islands). My custom tracks are in BAM format and I keep getting errors when I try to add them to the Table Browser (e.g. # No results returned from query).

    Then I converted my BAM files to BED files, but the upload to UCSC times out when I use the following URL format (without the "-" at the beginning):

    -http://genome.ucsc.edu/cgi-bin/hgTracks?db=susScr2&position=chr7&hgt.customText=http://mysite.edu/MyReads.bed

    Now I am about to try to convert my BED files to BigBED format. Before I do this, is there an easier way to just view my BAM files in the Table Browser that I am just not seeing (or more likely, a mistake I am making)?

    Many thanks in advance,
    jjw
  • epigen
    Senior Member
    • May 2010
    • 101

    #2
    If you just want to "determine the number of reads that align to different features" and produce a output BED or BAM file that is not that big, you could do that locally with BEDTools (code.google.com/p/bedtools/).
    There are entries about the tools on the forum and the developer is also active here (quinlana).
    Last edited by epigen; 07-15-2010, 09:47 AM. Reason: should mention the support here

    Comment

    • jjw14
      Member
      • Apr 2010
      • 39

      #3
      That does sound more direct than the Rube Goldberg method I was attempting.

      Just so I am clear, would something like this be correct:

      $ intersectBed -a MyReads.bed -b CpGIslands.bed

      where the CpGIslands.bed file contains the output from the CpG Island data downloaded from the UCSC Table Browser?

      If that's true, you've saved me a lot of time However, I still like all of the options the Table Browser provides.

      Thank you for the prompt reply,
      jjw

      Comment

      • epigen
        Senior Member
        • May 2010
        • 101

        #4
        I'm not sure if the CpG Island data downloaded from the UCSC Table Browser are in BED format, but if they are, your command should work.
        I agree that the Table Browser is nice to use, especially because you don't have to download all the files. But when I needed a real intersection, i.e. all info of both tables combined, I was not so happy with it. BEDTools has much more options for this.

        Comment

        • jjw14
          Member
          • Apr 2010
          • 39

          #5
          Yes, UCSC's Table Browser does have BED format as a file output option. I've been reading the excellent BEDTools documentation by the developer, Aaron Quinlan, that you mentioned. I have to agree with you that BEDTools is very flexible and powerful. Thanks so much again for the information.

          jjw

          Comment

          • bioinfosm
            Senior Member
            • Jan 2008
            • 483

            #6
            I would vouch for bedTools too. And the downloaded .bed files, like exons, or CpG in your case, are not that huge after all!
            --
            bioinfosm

            Comment

            Latest Articles

            Collapse

            • SEQadmin2
              New Genomics Technologies Take Aim at Long-Standing Limits
              by SEQadmin2


              Researchers using sequencing and genomics tools often have to make trade-offs. They can choose between speed or scale, short reads or long-range information, or targeted panels or a view of the whole transcriptome. New technologies that have been released this year are built to address those tough choices.

              We asked six companies the same four questions to learn about their latest products. The new technologies bring a lot to the table, including rethinking sequencing
              ...
              Yesterday, 10:25 AM
            • SEQadmin2
              How Immunogenomics Decodes Immunity’s Genetic Blueprint
              by SEQadmin2




              The immune system’s power comes from its genetic diversity, allowing myriad threats to be neutralized through first recognizing foreign antigens. That diversity is also what makes the immune system so difficult to study. Recent advances in sequencing technology and computational biology, however, are giving researchers new tools to understand immune responses and immune-related diseases in greater detail.

              This convergence of genetics, immunology, and computation...
              09-01-2026, 05:41 AM

            ad_right_rmr

            Collapse

            News

            Collapse

            Topics Statistics Last Post
            Started by SEQadmin2, Today, 09:51 AM
            0 responses
            9 views
            0 reactions
            Last Post SEQadmin2  
            Started by SEQadmin2, 09-25-2026, 09:06 AM
            0 responses
            32 views
            0 reactions
            Last Post SEQadmin2  
            Started by SEQadmin2, 09-23-2026, 11:05 AM
            0 responses
            27 views
            0 reactions
            Last Post SEQadmin2  
            Started by SEQadmin2, 09-18-2026, 11:37 AM
            1 response
            48 views
            0 reactions
            Last Post pekgio
            by pekgio
             
            Working...