Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Add read group to bam

I am running the AddOrReplaceReadGroups and do not know what to put for the items in bold. This is PE data from an Illumina NextSeq. The bam file name is long (I tend to name them with what has been done so far):

Code:
    dedup_sorted_mapped_unmatched_adapter_removed_quality_trimmed_NA12878-NextSeq-S1_R1_and_R2.bam
    Code:
    # fix the read groups
    java -jar picard.jar AddOrReplaceReadGroups \
        I= reads_without_RG.bam \
        O=  reads_with_RG.bam \
        SORT_ORDER=coordinate \
       [B]RGID=foo \ [/B]
       [B]RGLB=bar \[/B]
       [B]RGPL=illumina \ [/B]
       [B]RGSM=Sample1 \[/B]
        CREATE_INDEX=True
    Thank you .

They can all be whatever you want. I tend to use the same thing for SM, ID and LB, which works unless you make multiple libraries from samples or run them at multiple times. PL is fine as "illumina".

Comment

This is one library, but in the future they will be barcoded. I am new to Illumina data and getting used to it. Thank you .

Code:
         RGID=NextSeq \     (identifier)
         RGLB=IDP \            (library method)
         RGPL=illumina \      (platform)
         RGSM=NA12878 \   (sample)

Comment

@Devon: Do you always use them? They are not strictly needed (except GATK tools, are there other programs?).

Comment

Originally posted by GenoMax View Post
          @Devon: Do you always use them? They are not strictly needed (except GATK tools, are there other programs?).
          I thought GATK was the entire reason AddOrReplaceReadGroups existed

Comment

I went ahead and tried the below and get a RGPU required error but there is no mention of that on the GATK website. Thank you .

Code:
            cmccabe@DTV-A5211QLM:~/Desktop/NGS$ java -jar /home/cmccabe/Desktop/NGS/picard-tools-1.139/picard.jar AddOrReplaceReadGroups \
            > I=/home/cmccabe/Desktop/NGS/picard-tools-1.139/dedup_sorted_mapped_unmatched_adapter_removed_quality_trimmed_NA12878-NextSeq-S1_R1_and_R2.bam \
            > O=/home/cmccabe/Desktop/NGS/picard-tools-1.139/RG_dedup_sorted_mapped_unmatched_adapter_removed_quality_trimmed_NA12878-NextSeq-S1_R1_and_R2.bam \
            > SORT_ORDER=coordinate \
            > RGID=NextSeq \
            > RGLB=IDP \
            > RGPL=illumina \
            [B]> RGPU=R1 \[/B]
            > RGSM=NA12878 \
            > CREATE_INDEX=True
            ERROR: Option 'RGPU' is required.
            Edit: I added the RGPU as R1 (FASTQ files were all labled R1_S1 or R1_S2, so I figured R1 was the lane and the S1 or S2 referred to the diirection)
            Last edited by cmccabe; 11-04-2015, 12:35 PM. Reason: added edit

Comment

RGPU (String) Read Group platform unit (eg. run barcode) Required.

Comment

Originally posted by Bukowski View Post
                I thought GATK was the entire reason AddOrReplaceReadGroups existed
                It does feel like it since that is the only time I have used that tool.

Comment

Thank you

Comment

@Genomax: Our mapping pipeline automatically adds them, since Picard will bork (or at the very least complain) occasionally without them too. When I need to manually do the alignment I never add them...unless I need to use GATK :P

@cmccabe: One warning about using "NextSeq" as the ID is that the ID is the only value that MUST be unique when you compare multiple BAM files. Just keep that in mind before you get in the habit of assigning RGID.

Comment

Good to know... thank you very much .

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                        Essential Discoveries and Tools in Epitranscriptomics
                        by seqadmin

The field of epigenetics has traditionally concentrated more on DNA and how changes like methylation and phosphorylation of histones impact gene expression and regulation. However, our increased understanding of RNA modifications and their importance in cellular processes has led to a rise in epitranscriptomics research. “Epitranscriptomics brings together the concepts of epigenetics and gene expression,” explained Adrien Leger, PhD, Principal Research Scientist on Modified Bases...
                        Yesterday, 07:01 AM
                      • seqadmin
                        Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
                        by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
                        04-04-2024, 04:25 PM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                      Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
                      0 responses
                      0 likes
                      Last Post seqadmin  
                      Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
                      0 responses