Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Possible Cause for False Homozygous Reads (Heterozygous in Real)

While we sequencing CFTR with long-range PCR + Nextera XT + MiSeq 2x250bp, we detected homozygous variant in sample. (upper part of image)

However, when we sequenced the same sample with short-range PCR with same conditions, the variant seemed heterozygous. (lower part of image)

What could be the reason for that?

Is it possible that our long-range primers bind and amplify only one copy of CFTR?

Certainly, if your SNP of interest is linked to another mutation that happens to be at your primer site, you'll get a major bias. Perhaps you should examine both of your long-amplicon primer sites with Sanger.

Comment

I also have run into a situation where Illumina's adapter trimming was too promiscuous, and was actually trimming regions of the genome!

Ha! I just found my old example and it was CFTR also (albeit exon 10):

Bridged amplification & clustering followed by sequencing by synthesis. (Genome Analyzer / HiSeq / MiSeq)

How did you do adapter trimming? Are you able to visualize soft-clipped reads?

Comment

Another possibility is that the exon 3 sequence is duplicated in your genome, and the short-range (but not long-range) PCR primers are amplifying both copies.

Comment

Are other exons in your target?
          What's the coverage of the other exons relative to exon 3 ?

Comment

Thank you for all answers. And sorry for my late reply. We were quite busy.

Originally posted by Brian Bushnell View Post
            Certainly, if your SNP of interest is linked to another mutation that happens to be at your primer site, you'll get a major bias. Perhaps you should examine both of your long-amplicon primer sites with Sanger.
            Thank you Brian. It is quite possible. We will design primers to check that if there is any variant in the primer binding site.

Originally posted by ECO
            I also have run into a situation where Illumina's adapter trimming was too promiscuous, and was actually trimming regions of the genome!
            Ha! I just found my old example and it was CFTR also (albeit exon 10):
            Bridged amplification & clustering followed by sequencing by synthesis. (Genome Analyzer / HiSeq / MiSeq)

How did you do adapter trimming? Are you able to visualize soft-clipped reads?
            We are actually using MiSeq built-in adapter trimming option. I understand you example. I is very strange that, that trimmer can also remove genomic regions. But I couldn't figure out that how such bug results with my problem?

Originally posted by HESmith
            IAnother possibility is that the exon 3 sequence is duplicated in your genome, and the short-range (but not long-range) PCR primers are amplifying both copies.
            So you say that one of duplicated exon has variant but other has not? Right?

Originally posted by Richard Finney
            Are other exons in your target?
            What's the coverage of the other exons relative to exon 3 ?
            It changes. Because of that the PCR efficiency of each amplicon is different the coverage is different in each of exonic regions.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
              Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
              by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
              04-04-2024, 04:25 PM
            • seqadmin
              Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
              by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
              03-22-2024, 06:39 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
            Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
            0 responses
            0 likes
            Last Post seqadmin  
            Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
            0 responses