No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trimmoatic: Command for cutting bases from the start and end of the read

Hi everyone,

I am working with small non coding RNA data. I removed my adapter sequences from my data. However, there are random miRS of 4 bases attached to both the start and end of the reads. Hence, i wanted to remove 4 bases both from the start and end of the read. I used the command HEADCROP 4 to remove bases from the start of the read. However, i am not quite sure which command to use, to remove bases from the end of the read. the CROP command doesn't cut the bases at the end of the read, however it cuts the read to specified length by cutting the bases from the end of the read. The TRAILING command could be used, but i am not quite sure what would be threshold quality value that could trim the 4 random mirs. Because i need all the 4 bases to be uniformly trimmed across all the reads. Any thoughts? Opinion? Suggestions? I know cutadapt could be used in this case. But since i have already used trimmomatic to cut adapters i want to use the same for trimming the 4 bases from the start and end of the read.

Thanks

^^^^ or in other words i am wondering if there is a TRAILCROP option in Trimmomatic

Comment

The problem with removing bases from the 3' end of the reads is that, even after adapter trimming, there may be some reads that had only a few bases of adapter sequence, so too short to be removed by trimmomatic, and you would be removing those instead of the miRS sequences.

As far as I know there isn't an option that does what you want in Trimmomatic, unless you start with reads all the same length without any adapter contamination.

Comment

Originally posted by newfie View Post
        ^^^^ or in other words i am wondering if there is a TRAILCROP option in Trimmomatic
        CROP: Cut the read to a specified length

Comment

Originally posted by Zaag View Post
          CROP: Cut the read to a specified length
          Yes, but that won't help if your reads are all different lengths because you have removed variable lengths of adapters from the 3' ends.

Comment

True, but you can leave the adapters on and just cut adapter + 4 bp

I know PrinSeq has this option:
            -trim_right

Trim sequence at the 3'-end by trim_right positions

but I never used it.

Cheers.

Comment

@newfie: You could use the CROP command first followed by HEADCROP/trimming if you want to stick with trimmomatic. (If you want to remove an additional 4 bp from what was left after the trimming, then this won't work).

bbduk.sh will allow you to forcetrimright=n past a certain position.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
              • seqadmin
                Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
                by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
                Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
                03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
              Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
              0 responses
              0 likes
              Last Post seqadmin  
              Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
              0 responses