No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• samtools quiet mode?

Hi all,
    I'm wondering if samtools has a quiet (silent) mode, where all output is suppressed. I couldn't locate such an option. It appears that, even if there are no errors, samtools output may be treated as an error message by other programs.
    Your feedback on this would be appreciated.
    Thanks

Can you show us an example? What do you mean the output is treated as an error message by other programs?

Assuming you can redirect the stdout and stderr to different files. Also, checkout the return code from samtools (This is assuming you are in a UNIX environment using
    a bash as a shell):

Code:
    $ ./samtools <cmd> > ./stdout 2> ./stderr && echo $?
    Anything other than 0 would indicate samtools failed while processing.
    -drd

Comment

Thanks for your suggestion. It may indeed be preferable to deal with the issue at the Unix level.
      An example of the issue I was referring to is a "samtools view" command (to convert SAM to BAM): my command works correctly, as far as I can see, but also returns internal samtools messages that appear like errors, e.g. "[samopen] SAM header is present: 25 sequences."

Comment

Originally posted by drio View Post
        Anything other than 0 would indicate samtools failed while processing.
        I think you will find that samtools does not reliably set its exit status usefully. For example (with the current 0.1.8):

Code:
        $ samtools view nonexistent.bam; echo "exit status: $?"
        open: No such file or directory
        [main_samview] fail to open file for reading.
        exit status: 0

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
          Essential Discoveries and Tools in Epitranscriptomics
          by seqadmin

The field of epigenetics has traditionally concentrated more on DNA and how changes like methylation and phosphorylation of histones impact gene expression and regulation. However, our increased understanding of RNA modifications and their importance in cellular processes has led to a rise in epitranscriptomics research. “Epitranscriptomics brings together the concepts of epigenetics and gene expression,” explained Adrien Leger, PhD, Principal Research Scientist...
          04-22-2024, 07:01 AM
        • seqadmin
          Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
          by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
          04-04-2024, 04:25 PM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
        Started by seqadmin, 04-25-2024, 11:49 AM
        0 responses
        0 likes
        Last Post seqadmin  
        Started by seqadmin, 04-24-2024, 08:47 AM
        0 responses