No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by KevinLam View Post
    AGREED.
    I am curious though if I were to use a SSD as a swap would I be in a sweet zone for $$ vs speed?
    but I guess it's a moot question since for some reason I can't find programs that allow you to choose to write to disk or use RAM.
    As others noted, this is probably done at the OS level (and the OS is probably Linux if you're building a server this powerful, so it should be easy), but an SSD is way slower than RAM.

Just remember that even the least efficient software is designed to work on someone's machine, so there's an upper limit on how much RAM you'll ever need to be able to run a program. That limit might be on the order of tens of gigabytes (I've heard 40-50 for certain well-known pipelines). But I don't think there's a reason to complement that with SSDs, because they're definitely not going to buy you any additional speed as virtual memory.

Comment

Storage perfomance notes.

PS:
      SSD drives HATE random writing in small blocks (they want to write in 64-128-256) KB blocks, but are OK random reads.
      Harddisks struggle with random reads/writes, and also with simultanious reading/writing in multiple threads.
      Raid5 is TERRIBLE for random writing. (4-5 times slower than RAID10).
      My suggestion for the high perfomance system:
      (each group is on separate physical HDD or raid array)
      [System+Software]
      [SWAP]
      [SCRATCH]
      [Input data]
      [output data]
      or at least:
      [System+Software]
      [SWAP+SCRATCH]
      [all data]
      Remember, that having input/output data on the same RAID0 array is always slower, than having them on separate disks w/o raid
      (in memory constrained situation).
      If working with tons of small files (phd_dir) order them by the inode number, and then read them sequentially - will be a lot faster (10-20X) than random IO on the same HDD.
      Use symlinks to faciliate data processing/organisation.
      If you want to use RAID - use RAID10 on the GOOD controller (Adaptec) with at least .25-1GB of the onbord cache and it's own I/O CPU. The perfomance gains with cheap onboard controllers (w/o cache) are often negative... so use separate disks, if can't afford proper RAID.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
        Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
        by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
        04-04-2024, 04:25 PM
      • seqadmin
        Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
        by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
        03-22-2024, 06:39 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
      Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
      0 responses
      0 likes
      Last Post seqadmin  
      Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
      0 responses