Unconfigured Ad

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • xinwu
    Member
    • Jul 2010
    • 33

    #1

    SAMTool install error about curses

    Hi all,
    When I install SAMTool 0.1.8 on linux, I got error: cannot find -lcurses
    collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
    But I have libncurses.so installed under /usr/lib.
    After run rpm -qa | grep ncurses, I got:
    ncurses-devel-5.5-18.11
    ncurses-5.5-18.11
    yast2-ncurses-2.13.68-0.3
    ncurses-devel-32bit-5.5-18.11
    ncurses-32bit-5.5-18.11
    It seemed I've installed dependencies.
    Did I miss something? Thanks.
  • RockChalkJayhawk
    Senior Member
    • Mar 2009
    • 192

    #2
    Originally posted by xinwu View Post
    Hi all,
    When I install SAMTool 0.1.8 on linux, I got error: cannot find -lcurses
    collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
    But I have libncurses.so installed under /usr/lib.
    After run rpm -qa | grep ncurses, I got:
    ncurses-devel-5.5-18.11
    ncurses-5.5-18.11
    yast2-ncurses-2.13.68-0.3
    ncurses-devel-32bit-5.5-18.11
    ncurses-32bit-5.5-18.11
    It seemed I've installed dependencies.
    Did I miss something? Thanks.
    Did you get this problem fixed?

    Comment

    • RockChalkJayhawk
      Senior Member
      • Mar 2009
      • 192

      #3
      Problem Solved

      I ran into this problem as well. To get around it, change the makefile from
      Code:
      LIBCURSES= -lcurses
      to

      Code:
      LIBCURSES= -lncurses
      That should fix the problem.

      Comment

      • chaz81
        Junior Member
        • Mar 2010
        • 3

        #4
        Thanks RCJ, just found your post and had been struggling with that!

        Comment

        • satoshi936
          Junior Member
          • Sep 2011
          • 1

          #5
          thank you, RockChalkJayhawk. I had a same problem and your answer solved the problem.

          Open SUSE 11.3
          samtools 0.1.18
          =======================================
          $ pwd
          /opt/utillities/samtools/samtools-0.1.18
          $ vi Makefile
          - change a line in "Makefile" as follows
          -------------------------------------------------
          original: LIBCURSES= -lcurses # -lXCurses
          changed: LIBCURSES= -lncurses # -lXCurses
          --------------------------------------------------
          $ make
          - compile worked well
          ========================================

          Comment

          • dakl
            Member
            • May 2009
            • 15

            #6
            I had to install ncurses-devel to make this work. I also changed the Makefile as suggested above.

            cheers
            Daniel

            Comment

            • ngadewal
              Junior Member
              • Jun 2012
              • 2

              #7
              I am getting following error while installing samtools
              The update version of zlib and ncurses are installed.
              I tried to look posts but cold not find answer to "bgzf error"

              *********************************************************************************
              make[1]: Entering directory `/root/samtools-0.1.18'
              make[2]: Entering directory `/root/samtools-0.1.18'
              gcc -c -g -Wall -O2 -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 -D_LARGEFILE64_SOURCE -D_USE_KNETFILE -D_CURSES_LIB=1 -I. bgzf.c -o bgzf.o
              In file included from bgzf.c:36:
              bgzf.h:29:18: error: zlib.h: No such file or directory
              bgzf.c: In function ‘open_write’:
              bgzf.c:186: error: ‘Z_DEFAULT_COMPRESSION’ undeclared (first use in this function)
              bgzf.c:186: error: (Each undeclared identifier is reported only once
              bgzf.c:186: error: for each function it appears in.)
              bgzf.c: In function ‘deflate_block’:
              bgzf.c:297: error: ‘z_stream’ undeclared (first use in this function)
              bgzf.c:297: error: expected ‘;’ before ‘zs’
              bgzf.c:298: error: ‘zs’ undeclared (first use in this function)
              bgzf.c:305: warning: implicit declaration of function ‘deflateInit2’
              bgzf.c:305: error: ‘Z_DEFLATED’ undeclared (first use in this function)
              bgzf.c:306: error: ‘Z_DEFAULT_STRATEGY’ undeclared (first use in this function)
              bgzf.c:307: error: ‘Z_OK’ undeclared (first use in this function)
              bgzf.c:311: warning: implicit declaration of function ‘deflate’
              bgzf.c:311: error: ‘Z_FINISH’ undeclared (first use in this function)
              bgzf.c:312: error: ‘Z_STREAM_END’ undeclared (first use in this function)
              bgzf.c:313: warning: implicit declaration of function ‘deflateEnd’
              bgzf.c:345: warning: implicit declaration of function ‘crc32’
              bgzf.c: In function ‘inflate_block’:
              bgzf.c:371: error: ‘z_stream’ undeclared (first use in this function)
              bgzf.c:371: error: expected ‘;’ before ‘zs’
              bgzf.c:373: error: ‘zs’ undeclared (first use in this function)
              bgzf.c:380: warning: implicit declaration of function ‘inflateInit2’
              bgzf.c:381: error: ‘Z_OK’ undeclared (first use in this function)
              bgzf.c:385: warning: implicit declaration of function ‘inflate’
              bgzf.c:385: error: ‘Z_FINISH’ undeclared (first use in this function)
              bgzf.c:386: error: ‘Z_STREAM_END’ undeclared (first use in this function)
              bgzf.c:387: warning: implicit declaration of function ‘inflateEnd’
              bgzf.c: In function ‘check_header’:
              bgzf.c:405: error: ‘Z_DEFLATED’ undeclared (first use in this function)
              make[2]: *** [bgzf.o] Error 1
              make[2]: Leaving directory `/root/samtools-0.1.18'
              make[1]: *** [lib-recur] Error 1
              make[1]: Leaving directory `/root/samtools-0.1.18'
              make: *** [all-recur] Error 1
              *****************************************************************************

              Please help
              -Nikhil

              Comment

              • dakl
                Member
                • May 2009
                • 15

                #8
                Not sure this is the appropriate thread for this problem.

                Anyhow, it looks like you're missing zlib. Did you try installing zlib-devel. If you're on RedHat/Fedora/CentOS, try

                sudo yum install zlib-devel

                //D

                Comment

                • kausikmhg
                  Junior Member
                  • Jul 2012
                  • 3

                  #9
                  do yum install ncurses-devel , i hpe it will solve th issue

                  recommended for Centos , RHEL

                  Same problem faced and solved
                  Kausik Bhattacharyya
                  Delhi University

                  Comment

                  • NicolaLosito
                    Member
                    • Apr 2012
                    • 10

                    #10
                    On an Ubuntu box all you will need is:

                    Code:
                    sudo apt-get install libncurses5 libncurses5-dev
                    to solve the missing curses.h file not found error
                    SysAdmin & ICT consultant
                    http://about.me/nicola.losito

                    Comment

                    Latest Articles

                    Collapse

                    • SEQadmin2
                      New Genomics Technologies Take Aim at Long-Standing Limits
                      by SEQadmin2


                      Researchers using sequencing and genomics tools often have to make trade-offs. They can choose between speed or scale, short reads or long-range information, or targeted panels or a view of the whole transcriptome. New technologies that have been released this year are built to address those tough choices.

                      We asked six companies the same four questions to learn about their latest products. The new technologies bring a lot to the table, including rethinking sequencing
                      ...
                      Today, 10:25 AM
                    • SEQadmin2
                      How Immunogenomics Decodes Immunity’s Genetic Blueprint
                      by SEQadmin2




                      The immune system’s power comes from its genetic diversity, allowing myriad threats to be neutralized through first recognizing foreign antigens. That diversity is also what makes the immune system so difficult to study. Recent advances in sequencing technology and computational biology, however, are giving researchers new tools to understand immune responses and immune-related diseases in greater detail.

                      This convergence of genetics, immunology, and computation...
                      09-01-2026, 05:41 AM

                    ad_right_rmr

                    Collapse

                    News

                    Collapse

                    Topics Statistics Last Post
                    Started by SEQadmin2, 09-25-2026, 09:06 AM
                    0 responses
                    28 views
                    0 reactions
                    Last Post SEQadmin2  
                    Started by SEQadmin2, 09-23-2026, 11:05 AM
                    0 responses
                    24 views
                    0 reactions
                    Last Post SEQadmin2  
                    Started by SEQadmin2, 09-18-2026, 11:37 AM
                    1 response
                    46 views
                    0 reactions
                    Last Post pekgio
                    by pekgio
                     
                    Started by SEQadmin2, 09-16-2026, 10:23 AM
                    1 response
                    55 views
                    0 reactions
                    Last Post pekgio
                    by pekgio
                     
                    Working...