Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to the New Seqanswers!

Welcome to the new Seqanswers! We'd love your feedback, please post any you have to this topic: New Seqanswers Feedback.
See more
See less

Using PyNAST as standalone program / PyNAST alternatives?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Using PyNAST as standalone program / PyNAST alternatives?

Hej

I am working on an Illumina paired-end Amplicon workflow. Now I need to align my unique reads in order to produce a phylogeny what in QIIME would be done with the align_seqs.py command, followed by the filter_alignment.py.

However, I'd like to avoid to use Qiime just for this step because the workflow is R based (DADA2) and Qiime can't be called from R (afaik)

I know there are R packages around (e.g. msa) but as I understand they don't take reference alignments and are considerably slower.

I tried installing PyNAST but the website says that it requires a specific UCLUST version that in turn doesn't seem to run on the newest OSX.

So my questions are:

- is there a way to run PyNAST as stand-alone and not from within QIIME
    - are there good an fast alternatives (preferably ones that also provide a tutorial on sensible default settings)
    - Is it preferable to use a reference alignment when generating a multiple sequence alignment for short (~420 bp) reads?

thanks for the help!
Working...
X