Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• problems with tophat failing to find bowtie (MacOSX)

Dear Forum,

I have tried to install tophat on a new mac machine, and although both bowtie and tophat seem to be installed just fine, it seems tophat has trouble finding bowtie. Here is what I get when I run the test command for tophat:

pc248-23:test_data martinobarenco$ tophat -r 20 test_ref reads_1.fq reads_2.fq

[Wed Sep 22 16:04:37 2010] Beginning TopHat run (v1.0.11)
    -----------------------------------------------
    [Wed Sep 22 16:04:37 2010] Preparing output location ./tophat_out/
    [Wed Sep 22 16:04:37 2010] Checking for Bowtie index files
    [Wed Sep 22 16:04:37 2010] Checking for reference FASTA file
    [Wed Sep 22 16:04:37 2010] Checking for Bowtie
    [FAILED]
    Error: bowtie not found on this system

bowtie is installed on the system and the path has been set in .bash_profile:

pc248-23:test_data martinobarenco$ bowtie --version
    bowtie version 0.12.7
    64-bit
    Built on Franklin.local
    Tue Sep 7 14:27:57 PDT 2010
    Compiler: gcc version 4.0.1 (Apple Inc. build 5493)
    Options: -O3 -m64
    Sizeof {int, long, long long, void*, size_t, off_t}: {4, 8, 8, 8, 8, 8}

I have tried to change the versions of tophat (tophat-1.0.14.OSX_x86_64 and tophat-1.0.13, the latter installed "by hand" and with appropriate changes in the PATH in either case) and I get the same results. It worked fine on a linux machine (with v1.0.11) so it must be problem to OSX (and most likely something I did wrong there). Anyone met the same issue?

Many thanks,

Martino

Hi,

I recently got it running on a new Mac with OSX10.6.4 using bowtie version bowtie-0.12.6-macos-10.5-x86_64 and tophat version 1.0.14.OSX_x86_64. Looks like you are using an old version of tophat with the newest version of bowtie so maybe there is a compatibility issue?

Comment

Thanks for the reply. I did try the latest versions of tophat (1.0.14) and bowtie (12.7), both the 64 bits precompiled versions, to no avail. I even tried to change the version of python, again with no success. I'll write directly to the maintainers and report back here if a solution can be found.

Comment

I have narrowed the problem down to some glitch in python, so it is certainly not an issue of compatibility problems between tophat and bowtie.

I have looked at the tophat script and noticed that the exception is thrown when the "Popen" command in the "subprocess" library is called (line 600 or so in the script). However, calling bowtie works fine when using a different library (os). Also subprocess works fine on python itself. (the commands are shown below).

I also get the exact same results when reverting to the original apple python that shipped with the computer rather than the Enthought Python Distribution.

Jon, where did you specify your PATH for locating tophat/bowtie (mine are in .bash_profile)? many thanks.

M.

pc248-23:~ martinobarenco$ python
        Enthought Python Distribution -- http://www.enthought.com
        Version: 6.2-2 (32-bit)

Python 2.6.5 |EPD 6.2-2 (32-bit)| (r265:79063, May 28 2010, 15:13:03)
        [GCC 4.0.1 (Apple Inc. build 5488)] on darwin
        Type "help", "copyright", "credits" or "license" for more information.
        >>> import subprocess
        >>> proc = subprocess.Popen(['bowtie', '--version'],stdout=subprocess.PIPE)
        Traceback (most recent call last):
        File "<stdin>", line 1, in <module>
        File "/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/6.2/lib/python2.6/subprocess.py", line 633, in __init__
        errread, errwrite)
        File "/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/6.2/lib/python2.6/subprocess.py", line 1139, in _execute_child
        raise child_exception
        OSError: [Errno 2] No such file or directory
        >>> import os
        >>> os.system('bowtie --version')
        bowtie version 0.12.7
        64-bit
        Built on Franklin.local
        Tue Sep 7 14:27:57 PDT 2010
        Compiler: gcc version 4.0.1 (Apple Inc. build 5493)
        Options: -O3 -m64
        Sizeof {int, long, long long, void*, size_t, off_t}: {4, 8, 8, 8, 8, 8}
        >>> proc = subprocess.Popen(['python', '--version'],stdout=subprocess.PIPE)
        >>> Python 2.6.5 -- EPD 6.2-2 (32-bit)

Comment

*edited repeat posting*
          Last edited by martinobarenco; 09-23-2010, 06:07 AM. Reason: repeat posting

Comment

sorted

One needs to put the absolute paths in the .bash_profile files ie, in my case:

/Users/martinobarenco/Documents/NGS/tools/bowtie/bowtie-0.12.7:

*not*:

~/Documents/NGS/tools/bowtie/bowtie-0.12.7:

and it works. Although I don't quite understand why the paths relative to the home directory work under linux (with .bashrc) and why the "os" library in python recognises these relative paths but not the "subprocess" library. Oh well...

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
              Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
              by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
              03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
            • seqadmin
              Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
              by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
              Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
              03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
            Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
            0 responses
            0 likes
            Last Post seqadmin  
            Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
            0 responses