Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• miRDeep2 output scores

Hello everyone, I'm using miRDeep2 to predict novel miRNAs in a Differential Expresion experiment from some muscle samples.

The thing is that when running miRDeep2, everything goes fine, but the problem comes when analyzing the results.

Does anyone know how to interpret the miRDeep2 scores?. The program generates a table with a header which tells you that the greater the miRDeep2 score is, the greater the probability is that this novel miRNA es a false positive, so by this, I understand that what is valuable to predict a good novel miRNA is that this miRNA has a low mirDeep2 score, near 0 or negative.

BUT, when going into the list of novel predicted miRNAs, which are designated by their coordinates, I find that most, if not all, of Differentially expressed predicted novel miRNAs, appear to have very high miRDeep2 scores, so according to what I mentioned above, those should have a very high probability of being false positives. BUT, as a variable within this list of novel predicted miRNAs, there's a field telling you the "estimated probability that the miRNA candidate is a true positive" which tells you that the higher the miRDeep2 is, the higher this probability of being a true positive is.

I find it conflictive, as firstly miRDeep2 score seems to be desirable if having a low value, but then it turns to the inverse interpretation, as it should have a high value.

Did someone analyze results from miRDeep2? I'm trying to select some desirable novel miRNAs to validate them via rt-qPCR but this is blowing my mind...

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
    Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
    by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
    03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
  • seqadmin
    Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
    by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
    Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
    03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
0 responses
0 likes
Last Post seqadmin  
Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
0 responses